Restaurant VAT Receipt - Will VAT Number only suffice?

Cara2 17:49 11 Jan 2015
Answered

As above. I have a workplace award which entitles me to a refund on the cost of a meal. A VAT receipt is required for the refund.

The restaurant is VAT registered, but do not produce VAT receipts as such. The owner tells me that businesses are perfectly prepared to accept their VAT number and submit that with the receipt.

Can anyone confirm this please or further enlighten me?

Thanks Cara

wee eddie 18:59 11 Jan 2015

To keep the Revenue happy, an Invoice needs to identify what you have bought, who you have bought it from, and their VAT Number.

For small amounts of money, my experience is that they will accept a Till slip which has the Seller's name and their VAT Number can be written in.

Forum Editor 22:33 11 Jan 2015
Answer

There is no requirement for businesses to issue VAT receipts unless requested to do so by a purchaser.

If a VAT receipt is requested it must be provided and it must include the tax point (the date the VAT was charged),the amount of tax being charged, and the VAT registration number of the seller.

Cara2 23:10 11 Jan 2015

Thanks to both of you. Your replies have helped a lot.

Cheers Cara

spuds 09:38 12 Jan 2015

Perhaps nothing to do with Cara2 original request, but a possible future receipt and vat request answer.

Recently I made a number of purchases via Tesco Direct, and they state that if you want a vat receipt, they can produce one on request, but allow up to 48 hours. They also mention, that once a vat receipt as been produced, no alterations or amendments are allowed by HMRC.

This followed from a customer service action request (mine) on the way Tesco Direct produce on-line receipts for items purchased. Tesco thought that I had made a number of valid points, and have promised to keep me updated. If the response is interesting, then I may post it in the forum, if and when I receive it.

Forum Editor 13:21 12 Jan 2015

"once a vat receipt as been produced, no alterations or amendments are allowed by HMRC."

Tesco is correct - altering a VAT invoice or receipt after issue is technically a criminal act.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?