Require some advice

Dex5600 12:42 01 Jun 2009

Hi guys

I'm not sure if i'm in the right area when asking this, but here it goes. After reading many of your comments regarding cougar extreme i decided that i would like to buy a system from them, and i would really appreciate some opinions from you regarding the configuration, especially about the motherboard, case and PSU. This will be mainly for gaming, and i would like it if it was at least reasonably future proof, at least for the next two years.

Gamers AMD phenom Radion 4890 Crosifre
AMD PHENOM 2 940,
4Gb Corsair Memory DDR2 1066 (2x2Gb),
500GB SATA Hard Drive, ,
Coolermaster 590 (case),
Power Cool 650Watt (PSU),
ATI 4890 1024MB PCI Express DDR DVI,
MSI KA790GX - 5200MTS DDR2 1066x4 AMD 790 chipset (mobo),
DVD+/- RW - 18X Samsung Lightscribe,
No Floppy Disk Drive,
Integrated Sound Card,
Intergrated Monitor Speakers, ,
64 BIT Windows Vista Home Premiem,
No Additional Software, ,
13 Month Warranty, Free Carriage
Wireless Network Adapter.

All at £810.

Also, i was wandering if you could advise me on what price i would be able to get on my current laptop (Dell Vostro 1500, Intel Dual core at 1.4 Ghz, 2GB RAM, integrated graphics card Intel GMA965 x3100) which, with the latest graphic drivers, handles a reasonable amount of new games, with lower details (i.e. Oblivion, Medieval 2, Gothic 3).

Thank you in advance for your replies.

keef66 15:14 01 Jun 2009

No idea about the mobo / cpu, but for gaming I wouldn't rely on speakers integrated into the monitor. Get a decent 2.1 or better speaker system, and / or a decent pair of headphones.

As to price for the laptop, look on ebay to see what similar spec machines actually sell for, but be prepared for a disappointingly low figure

Dex5600 15:37 01 Jun 2009

Oh, sorry about that... It just says that because i'm not buying any spekers, just the base unit.

Kevscar1 16:41 01 Jun 2009

If you are going to want a games machine to get the best out of it don't go with intergrated sound card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?