Replacement Windows XP CD / DVD

t.long 15:21 27 Dec 2008

I own a retail copy of Windows XP Pro, brought some years ago, pre SP1.

What I would like to do is install XP on a net book - I have a second retail copy of Vista on my main PC. However I undersrand that I need a Windows disk with at least SP1 on it to do this.

I have tried seraching Microsofts site, but am unable to find out if 1) Microsoft will send a new disk with service pack 1/2/3 on it for a small fee, or 2) How to go about this.

Does anyone know if Microsoft will provide a replacement DVD? And how to go about this?

Pamy 15:36 27 Dec 2008

If it is a retail version then you can install it on one machine, then install all the updates you wish

curofone 16:03 27 Dec 2008

There has been some reports that on some netbooks you can only install windows xp if the cd you are installing it off contains service pack one otherwise the install will fail. I heard some of the hp minis had this problem.

I think that microsoft do send out replacement disks for retail copies of their operating systems. best bet is to give there customer services a call, plenty of ms numbers listed on say no to 0870 and i am sure plenty more listed on the ms website

Pamy 16:08 27 Dec 2008

curofone,never heard of that, I stand corrected

Pamy 16:29 27 Dec 2008

The only problem I have found is that XP with service pack 3 is too large for these machines, and most people are using cut down versions installed via USB sticks

curofone 16:56 27 Dec 2008

Depends which netbook you go for I am personally considering one of these click here at the moment and has a 120gb hard drive and enough ram to cope with xp sp3 but if you going for one that netbooks that has an 8gb flash drive then i would probably just stick to the cut down linux they come with.

as for xp not installing unless containing at least sp 1, yeah i never heard of it either until a couple of days ago, seems a bit strange to me but not really a problem as i have a legit version of xp pro sp1 knocking about somewhere

qbie 00:50 28 Dec 2008

You can always use your existing pre-sp1 installation disc and slipstream sp2/3 onto it, and burn a new copy.

click here

You can also do fancy things like integrate drivers and extra applications into the disc. It comes in very handy!

t.long 11:15 28 Dec 2008

Thankyou for your comments gentlemen. I think whilst the original question might not of been answeared in its entirety, we have found a useful workaround.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?