Replacement Product Cover

oresome 15:38 28 Aug 2008

This insurance is available on small value electrical items and claims the following during the term of the insurance:

"If your insured product fails to operate due to an electrical or mechanical fault, including where caused by an accident, we will supply you with a new replacement product."

Seems straightforward enough. But, there's always a but, what if the product price has changed? Very likely over a three year term.

Should you be expected to make up the difference in price? Or, as my daughter put to the retailer, would they give back the cash difference if the product had come down in price?

She actually purchased the item 2 years ago when it was reduced by £10 in a promotion and spent half the saving on the three year replacement warranty. It's just gone faulty and the store now want £10 to replace it, (the difference between purchase price and price now), plus another £5 for a new extended warranty.

Not one to be trifled with, she argued her case and finshed up handing over £5 for a new product and a further 3 years warranty, but the experience wasn't as straightforward as she would have hoped for.

Stuartli 19:57 28 Aug 2008

Your daughter has had two years use from a cheap electrical product and is, it seem, getting a brand new one plus a three year warranty for a mere fiver.

I'd say that was a bargain...:-)

However, I would suggest that the attempt to recover the price difference for the original purchase was out of order.

Stuartli 23:51 28 Aug 2008

I should have added that the reason is that the warranty covered any replacement.

oresome 13:05 29 Aug 2008

Stuartli,

As you would expect, there is quite a bit of small print with insurance and one of the other clauses states:

"Our maximum liability under this insurance is limited to the original price you paid for your insured product."

Which flys in the face of the first clause I quoted, especially in inflationary times over a period of three years.

jack 14:08 29 Aug 2008

The Kettle purchased for a tenner plus cover, was but 11 months in use when it died
That precise model was no longer in the catalogue
So we selected another plus cover- and got £1.75 change.
Although I am generally against extended cover for the more premium items -on the basis that by the time such an item does malfunction out side of statute warranty- the saved premiums would be well on the way to a replacement.
For small items- toasters, kettles and the like,it seems like 'free' replacements forever.

oresome 16:21 29 Aug 2008

Jack,

To answer my daughters question, it seems they will give cash back if the price has come down!

The store staff didn't have an answer when she put the question to them.

Bald Eagle 21:21 29 Aug 2008

I remember a few years ago I went to Comet to buy a TV. The assistant tried to sell me extended warranty and I said that it must be rubbish if it needed insurance cover! He said that it was completely reliable to which I replied so why do you want me to spend money on something that isn't going to go wrong. He replied ..... etc etc! We went round in circles until my daughter told me to stop being cruel to him!
BE

Stuartli 23:56 29 Aug 2008

I would suggest it was highly unlikely that you had actually read the clause you mention before you arrived home....:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?