replacement cd / dvd rw combo for

Diodorus Siculus 18:24 26 Aug 2006

Novatech 8081 laptop.

From research this seems to be a MITAC rebadged machine.

Can anyone

a - confirm that it is

b - tell me where in the UK I can get a replacement drive. I've found a German site but would prefer a UK based source if possible.

Thanks as always, Dio

freaky 18:46 26 Aug 2006

Why don't you contact Novatech !

Diodorus Siculus 18:59 26 Aug 2006

Because it is Saturday evening and they closed at lunctime; open again for technical / sales info on Tuesday.

freaky 19:58 26 Aug 2006

Some years ago I bought a 2nd hand Microtec laptop, had it about 6 months and the cd/dvd drive packed in. Had it replaced OK but it cost about £100....at the time was not a member of this forum to rearch advice.

Hope you get a replacement OK.

Stuartli 20:37 26 Aug 2006

You may be able to recognise your particular model at:

click here

This link will also prove of interest:

click here

Diodorus Siculus 02:44 27 Aug 2006

Stuartli - thanks for the links; I;ll take a look later in the morning.

De Marcus™ 02:56 27 Aug 2006

DS, you may find that a generic one will fit, most manufacturers use generic slimline types and fit them inside a plastic moulding which then fits into the slot. Is it possible (seeing as it's faulty) to remove the drive and look at it's dimensions?

De Marcus™ 02:57 27 Aug 2006

I recently replaced a toshiba laptops knackered generic drive with one of these click here

De Marcus™ 02:59 27 Aug 2006

Sorry that's one I looked at, the actual one I bought was click here

Diodorus Siculus 09:33 27 Aug 2006

De Marcus™ - I've taken it out and had a look and it seems standard but I'm not sure.

There are a few serial numbers on it that I will google and see what I come up with.

De Marcus™ 16:09 27 Aug 2006

I took a slight chance when I bought my replacement, whilst the dimensions matched, I wasn't able to determine whether the shape would match, and purchased on the belief that they're built to a standard shape, size. I don't know if that's true, but when it turned up, it fitted.

I also knew novatech (or for that matter ebuyer) have great (in my experience) returns procedures.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?