removing failed xp re-install

krypt1c 16:16 31 May 2009

I had to do a clean re-install of my xp sp3 os.
However, during the install I got an error message so I removed my cd, gave it a clean & retried. The install completed ok this time, but when I boot up I get asked to select from 2 xp installations. It looks as if the failed installation is still on the pc. I've tried another re-install, which completes ok, but the failed installation is still there. Any advice on getting rid of the failed installation much appreciated.

jimv7 17:21 31 May 2009

Start, Run type in msconfig, press enter, choose the tab Boot.ini, check all boot paths and delete the 1 with no boot path, restart.

DieSse 17:46 31 May 2009

If you actually do have two installs, and want a completely clean single install - what jimv7 suggests will not remove the faulty version.

Better to start again, but this time reformat the drive at the start of the install - you do this from the installation CD.

Exact instructions here click here

If you're doing a repair install (ie to keep all your data and installed software) DO NOT reformat - but ask here again.

krypt1c 22:00 31 May 2009

1st of all apologies for putting this in the wrong thread. Thanks for both responses. The reformat and reinstall worked a treat. Only 1 occurence at oot up now. Many thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?