Registry Smart

n4165si 16:53 18 Mar 2008

has anyone used this software and is it free or when you have scanned does it cost to put the results right

TopCat® 17:54 18 Mar 2008

your registry, highlights any irregularities but you have to register and pay before it fixes anything. TC.

GaT7 19:09 18 Mar 2008

I'd suggest not running any registry cleaners at all.

If you'd like to run one anyway, then get free version of Registry Mechanic 6 instead - to download click here, & request a free key code click here.

The free CCleaner is good too click here.

As with all registry cleaners, make a registry backup or set a System Restore point before letting them make any changes. G

Rob_08 23:24 18 Mar 2008

Registry cleaning is a waste of time unless you enjoy system restoring or formatting your drive to cure the mess it causes. (and it always will eventually)
Since i gave up on these pointless programs instead of redoing my XP every few months or getting out my ghost backups i havent had to do anything since i stopped cleaning the reg about 2 years ago.

gazzaho 03:15 19 Mar 2008

I can't agree more with Rob_08, the thing I find with them is that they allow you to delete registry entries and everything seems fine until you need to run that program, you know the one that you only use occasionally? When you do, guess what? It no longer works! Either that or your system no longer works at all, unless you know the registry inside and out, and what you can and can’t safely delete stay well clear of them.

I myself had to re-install my system a few months back after using one, (I'll not mention it's name) although I wasn't too annoyed as Windows had been installed for a few years and needed a clean installation to get rid of the built up detritus anyway.

n4165si 10:33 19 Mar 2008

Thank you all for replying , i guess i will at some later date re-install xp2 but will put up with the unstable system for now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?