Region Free DVD recording?

kenwyn 10:02 19 Nov 2003

Hi
I have a Sony DVD RW DRU-510A. The blurb says after 5 plays, the player software locks onto the code of the last played DVD. What about the record element? I am in New zealand, and want to send home-recorded DV back to the UK on DVD. So will I be locked into one region for both after the fifth play, and have to rely on the recipients having a multi-region player?

Stuartli 11:20 19 Nov 2003

If you do a search on google it should be possible to find a firmware upgrade or patch that will allow multi-regional use permanently.

There may even be something on Sony's website - but be prepared for a frustrating time trawling it...:-)

johnnyrocker 11:44 19 Nov 2003

you could look click here
may solve your problem.

johnny

Jester2K II 13:11 19 Nov 2003

Its usually after 5 changes of Region Code not plays...

kenwyn 18:00 19 Nov 2003

Absolutely correct Jester - I have a mix of region DVD's, so inevitably after change 5, I am going to end up on the wrong code for a) playing 50% of my collection and b) recording for local or UK playback. Is this a generic issue, or just related to my particular recorder?

Jester2K II 18:04 19 Nov 2003

It applies to most DVD player / recorders.

Jester2K II 18:05 19 Nov 2003

Oh and its hardware locked so its the drive and not Windows or any software...

kenwyn 18:05 19 Nov 2003

NOTE ; I am talking about recording onto DVD region-free, not playback, anyway, why would the region issue crop up? surely this was put in place following pressure by the big movie studios, why force it on domestic users?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?