Refurbished Laptops

katkins 13:58 16 Oct 2008

I bought an excellent refurbished Laptop from Dixons two weeks ago, for £429. (They were offering Norton All-in-One 360 Security Suite (3 Pcs)for £20 so I purchased that too).

The model is a Hewlett Packard- DV9657em - Product Code 423576. The basic spec is AMD 2.2ghz, 320gbHDD, 2gbRam.

It was built in 2006 and was sold originally in 2007.

Dixons seem to have exhaused supply of these since I purchased, but Computer World and Currys may still have a supply of them.

Condom 14:16 16 Oct 2008

Ever stop to think why they have these in the first place? Probably some of the hundreds of faulty ones returned by angry customers. All three stores are owned by the same company so it would not be surprising if the others had the same offer. I hope it was 360 version 2 they supplied you with and not version 1 which you can get just about anywhere for £20 or less. I wish you luck.

katkins 15:13 16 Oct 2008

Yes, it was version 2. I saw a version of Norton 360 (not sure which) advertised very briefly at Savapoint, for £20, but they now charge £35.

You're assuming that all refurbished products sold by any of 3 companies (which I, incidently, am already aware are under the same parent company although each are separate companies in their own rights, btw,) are faulty, is totally inaccurate and actually misleading to potential buyers of refurbished products.

For a start, some products are returned not because they are faulty, but because some online customers change their minds within a month and request a refund. Even if they were faulty, before being offered for resale, the fault would have to be rectified prior.

Also, they may be ex-display models.

They carry a twelve months guarantee and an optional extended insurance plan.

Condom 15:28 16 Oct 2008

Soory katkins if I was a little over the top but Dixons in general gets my back up for a variety of reasons. I too buy refurbished goods direct from Epson so I do know you can get good bargains by this method. Am I forgiven?

katkins 15:29 16 Oct 2008

The model also has a 17" screen and is one of the multi-media versions.

€dstowe 15:42 16 Oct 2008

I get a strong impression that there is (not very well) hidden advertising in this thread.

You don't happen to be an agent of DSG, do you, katkins?

katkins 15:43 16 Oct 2008

Of course you're forgiven, Con!!

I bought a new Epson Stylus Photo R360 printer direct from Epson, late Spring this year. Yes, they do have good refurbished bargains and attractive reductions on their new models, too.

PS I nearly forgot, the recent Hewlett Packard model I refer to above comes with Vista Home Premium and I've found no problems with Vista either, other than a couple of my TP software applications needing updated drivers or renewing altogether to accommodate Vista.

Btw, I bought a refurbished Packard Bell from Dixons, for my sister 20 months ago and it is still going trouble-free, except she's not at all very tech savvy when it comes to computers and often rings me up with queries due to her lack of know-how with the Windows XP OS.

katkins 15:53 16 Oct 2008

€dstowe

No, I'm nothing of the sort!

I speak as I find when it comes to products, companies and services.

If you look though any forum on the Net, you will see mention of goods, companies and services all over the place.

Whether they be good or bad write-ups, is beside the point.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone