refurbished laptop

exetergirl 13:37 23 Jul 2007

hello, this is just a quick question-

Is it worth buying a refurbished laptop from somewhere such as PC world, which comes with the full 12 month warranty as if new. They say they have all been tested etc etc, but I'm just not sure, although some of them are a lot cheaper. Also, have doubts about somehwere like PC world or Currys (which seem to have the same stock). Any thoughts?

Many thanks

wee eddie 14:18 23 Jul 2007

PCW & and Currys may not be at the cutting edge but when their shifting old stock they're hard to beat.

I would expect that the risk of problems on a "Refurb" is probably lower than on New. They've been returned and had the problem sorted.

Use some of the money you've saved to get an External Hard Drive and Acronis and then use it from the moment you set out.

Stuartli 14:50 23 Jul 2007

This is a good company to deal with for new and refurbished computer items, including laptops:

click here

Stuartli 15:16 23 Jul 2007

Without knowing what you wish to spend, nor how good Hewlett Packard laptops are, this just announced offer from Dabs might be of interest (includes additional battery):

click here

rdave13 21:05 23 Jul 2007

Just bought a HP compaq Presario C500 reconditioned from Curries online. Cost £295 delivered and runs well. It's got Vista home premium and is a great little machine to browse etc. Bought it just to see what all the fuss was about Vista...;)

Stuartli 00:04 24 Jul 2007

You could have purchased Vista on its own much more cheaply...:-)

rdave13 16:22 24 Jul 2007

Indeed I could have but also wanted to have a play on a laptop. Unfortunately the offsprings are using the other two PC's more often now so it really was a matter of must..:{

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?