Refund on faulty goods - what are my rights?

Malky55 21:55 17 Jan 2003
  Malky55 21:55 17 Jan 2003

I purchased a mainboard and processor at a computer fair in November 2002 (Ronal Computers Ltd)which I found to be faulty and returned. They sent back the mainboard with a new processor stating that the original processor was faulty. On installation again a similar fault appeared and after fault finding with the aid of a third party we concluded that the processor was again faulty, possibly caused by an intermittent mainboard. I then returned the mainboard and processor again requesting a full refund as I could not be without a computer and had purchased replacements elsewhere. They responded with a letter stating that the mainboard had been tested and found to be in working order and offered to return it to me or offered a refund minus "a small restocking fee" yet to be advised of. The processor had been found to be faulty with the likely cause being "the excessive application of thermal paste" which would invalidate the warranty and offered to return the processor to AMD and request a replacement but felt this was unlikely." I do not agree that any problem was caused by the excessive applicaton of thermal paste, I am an experienced electronics engineer. I have e-mailed them again but they simply have repeated their original letter and have not addressed my e-mail in any way.

Do I have any redress against them. In this instance I feel a refund is applicable as the goods were obviously not "fit for their purpose".
Malky55

Forum Editor 00:05 18 Jan 2003

It's a matter of fact that the processor was 'not fit' because the supplier replaced it, but the mainboard may be a different matter.

You went ahead and replaced the board and (second)processor without reference to the supplier, and they now say that there was excessive use of thermal paste. If that was the case you wouldn't have a claim against them, and it seems to be a matter of your opinion versus theirs. If the board was faulty then you are obviously enitled to a new one, or your money back, but proving it was faulty may be very difficult - the more so as they say it has proved to be in working order.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017