recording telephone calls

kimisam 09:50 30 Oct 2006

Hi,
I would like to record certain telephone calls to my pc's hard disk, can anyone help please. I have P4 with 1gb ram and window xp home.
many thanks

Stuartli 10:18 30 Oct 2006

You should be aware, as has been mentioned previously in these forums, that there are certain conditions with regard to recording telephone conversations.

SB23 11:42 30 Oct 2006

Found this from a search, click here, but in addition to what Stuartli has already said, you need to have the relevent permissions before you go ahead.
I've even just read that it can be illegal to record your own telephone conversation.

BRYNIT 12:31 30 Oct 2006

Can I record telephone conversations on my home phone? click here

Totally-braindead 12:57 30 Oct 2006

Interesting that BRYNIT that is not what I thought was the law regarding this.

MichelleC 13:05 30 Oct 2006

There's no problem recording from your own phone (as in this instance at least one person has to be aware - you). But the problem arises when a third party is involved.

jimv7 13:16 30 Oct 2006

I believe that you can record phone calls, providing, if the recorded conversation was going to be used as evidence or in a court case, or being listened to by a third party, you informed the person being recorded that you were recordding the phone conversation.

Diemmess 17:14 30 Oct 2006

Regardless of the legal position, or perhaps covered by the legality warning, does anyone know?

The only time I ever tried was back almost in the days of crankhandled phones.
A magnetic sensing device with a rubber sucker was stuck on to the right place on the dialling gizmo and the small jack plug into any cassette recorder.

Once the phones no longer had magnetic coils inside the black box, the device was history.
Used it only a few times as a prompter with family news.

spuds 17:47 30 Oct 2006

Free Trial click here

On a more funny note, of an incident about a year ago. Phoned the bank and was greeted with the usual message that the conversation was being recorded 'for training purposes'. When I actually began to speak to the bank's representative, I informed them, that I too was recording the conversation 'for training purpose' (I wasn't really). They told me that I couldn't do that, and disconnected the call. To this day, I still wonder whether I should have contacted the bank, at a more senior level, and asked what their actual policy was!.

Arthur Scrimshaw 18:10 30 Oct 2006

a telephone conversation as long as it's for their own use and is not made available to a third party. You do not have to advise the other person you are recording them.

Forum Editor 18:25 30 Oct 2006

personal information from a caller or callers, and you intend to make subsequent use of the information, or believe that you may disclose it to a third party, you MUST notify the caller that you are recording the call BEFORE the conversation begins.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017