Recommendations for replacement HD ?

freaky 19:23 22 Oct 2006

I think the HD in my old PC could be heading for the cemetry !

For a few weeks now on booting, Windows requests the drive to be checked for errors. The same thing happened today, and it had to convert some lost chains to files = 3296KB in 24 recovered files. Also on booting the drive occasionally makes a clicking noise.

The PC is about 6-years old and has a 40GB Maxtor Standard IDE and Parallel ATA.

The MOB is a Gigabyte GA-7DXR, and supports ATA 100 w/RAID 0.1

If I have to replace this HD then I will get a 160 GB.

Any recomendations for which make and specification to buy, PCW have some Hitachi drives, but somebody said that Seagate were better.

Many thanks.

ashdav 21:53 22 Oct 2006
  phil46 21:57 22 Oct 2006

Windows will see only 128gb and you would have to update the bios if that was available for an old computer i would not go above 120gb,i have an eight year old computer i keep going for fun came with a 10gb HD runs well on a 80gb.

Stuartli 22:03 22 Oct 2006

I've always used Western Digital Caviar SE hard drives with the model number ending in JB (extended warraty) - always proved quiet and very reliable, 8MB cache etc.

160GB version is £40 including VAT from Scan of Bolton:

click here

It also lists the 120GB version at the same price for some reason (probably the price has gone down and not been corrected).

Strawballs 22:21 22 Oct 2006
  SANTOS7 22:51 22 Oct 2006

I'm with strawballs on this one Got two maxtors in me tower can't fault them, stupidly easy to fit, a good honest bit of hardware, might be the way to go as you already have a maxtor drive and as its nearly 6 years old its testament to the product..

freaky 12:21 23 Oct 2006

Many thanks for the link. Have now ordered a 160Gb Seagate Barracuda - 5-years warranty !

Many thanks to all for your replies, I will now mark this topic Resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?