Recommendations for replacement CD Player

ened 14:51 14 Feb 2009

I'm a bit out of touch with what's on at the moment but I need to replace the CD which is part of the Hi-fi set up.

I was horrified to discover that the starting price for a decent quality one is around £200.

As an alternative I was thinking about an MP3 player.

Is this to be recommended or is there another (more recent) standard.

I tend to use the CD in the car more than in the living room so do not really wish to spend too much.

Stuartli 15:16 14 Feb 2009

You don't need to spend anything like that if you go to Richer Sounds...:-)

click here

The Cambridge Audio and Marantz models will be an excellent starting point.

ened 15:27 14 Feb 2009

The Marantz on that link is the model which I was offered for £200 by a local dealer.

I should have realised it would all be cheaper online but I have been giving this some thoought and wondering if the alternative (MP3 or whatever)is the way to go anyway.

I would love some advice onwhat solid-state alternatives there are.

The Brigadier 15:58 14 Feb 2009

Richer Sounds get my business as they are good, well priced as service is 1st class.

ened 15:59 14 Feb 2009

I was watching a programme in the week on which this guy plugged his MP3 player into his amp.

This seems to me to be the way to go but is there an alternative that I am not aware of?

It would be good to use my computer to move the Cd collection onto something like this but I am pretty ignorsant when it comes to this sort of thing.

Google wasn't much help in educating me either.

jack 17:35 14 Feb 2009

CD player in an audio system then only another CD player will play your existing CD collection
An MP3 player will not unless you go to the trouble of uploading your collection into the computer and transferring to MP3, providing of course your existing Audio system has the facility to accept an MP3 player.

Stuartli 17:59 14 Feb 2009

Richer Sounds, which has stores around the UK, is similar in many respects to Morgan Computers and uses its buying power to snap up manufacturers and distributors' overstock or models about to be discontinued.

Its staff are also noted for their enthusiasm for hi-fi and related subjects.

One way of getting round your CD or MP3 dilemma is the Logitech Squeezebox; one of the offspring has one and it's brilliant if you have a wireless setup.

click here

In the offspring's case, the entire CD collection was converted to high quality audio tracks, installed on his computer system and are now called up and played via the Squeezebox.

It displays all the albums available, the tracks etc and you just choose what you wish to play on your hi-fi.

It took around 50GB or so hard drive capacity (miniscule by today's HDD high capacities for low cost).

ened 08:21 15 Feb 2009

That is just the sort of thing I am looking for.

I am in the process of reading all about it.

carver 09:55 15 Feb 2009

First thing what system have you got and will the replacement CD player be good enough for the system, or will it be too good.

You also have to think that if you load all your CDs onto an MP3 player and that fails you are back to zero music.

Talk to Richer Sounds they will give some good impartial advice on the best way to go forward.

I've got a TEAC system and that will play CDs at far better quality than any MP3 player.

Stuartli 11:22 15 Feb 2009

The Squeezebox isn't an MP3 player, it's a device that enables you to select and play tracks which are stored on your computer system's hard drive.

Anyone with any nouse would ensure that everything on that hard drive is backed up at least once and preferably twice or more - modern external hard drives come with similar high capacities to internal hard drives and at similar remarkable GB to £ ratios.

By the way, MP3s are compressed music files so, naturally, your Teac system "..will play CDs at far better quality than any MP3 player."

ened 11:35 15 Feb 2009

I like Logitech with good reasonclick here

I am sorely tempted to get one of those.

carver

I am no acoustic expert but I am capable of recognising the difference in the sound produced by a cheap CD player and a more expensive one. My tuner and amp are AudioLabs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017