Recommend a DVD Writer

mikeyb59 15:23 01 Oct 2003

I would like to transfer some airshow videos to DVD and would like suggestions of which DVD writer to buy.

Looking for something reliable & not too expensive.

Also will the format be an issue?

TIA Mike

Hyperangelic 15:54 01 Oct 2003

The NEC ND-1300 seems to be a good combi drive. It takes + and - DVDs, which makes life a lot easier. I've had no trouble with mine. It's rebadged under numerous other names including Verbatim.

The main thing with the drive is to steer clear of cheapy brands - it's very little more for a decent brand, and in general you get much better product and better service.

Your next issue will be what DVD-authoring software to buy... and what capture card to use. I leave the field open on those ones...

Stuartli 16:01 01 Oct 2003

My son got the Pioneer 106 DVD rewriter (£128 from BigPockets) and has so far been very happy with it.

mikeyb59 16:06 01 Oct 2003

Ah, capture card & software - hadn't thought of that. D'OH!

All suggestions welcome

mikeyb59 16:08 01 Oct 2003

One other thing - regarding format +/- etc. Is there a preference for playing in a standalone DVD player?

Don't wish to bore you all but this a new area for me!

mikeyb59 16:53 01 Oct 2003

If I fit a DVD drive should I replace my DVD-ROM drive so I can keep my 52x CD/RW drive?

mark500 17:17 01 Oct 2003

DVD-R is supposed to be compatible with about 99% of all home players.

click here To check if your player is compatible.

click here Here are some drives supplied from a reputable company whom I have dealt with countless times and always found to be reliable and cheap. The NEC1300 on this site is the cheapest I have seen although it is the OEM version. It does come with Firmware 1.06 which does allow cheap princo media to be written.

mikeyb59 19:37 01 Oct 2003

The Pioneer looks good. Any more before I tick and do my own thing?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017