Recommend a colour laser printer?

Chris the Ancient 15:12 28 Mar 2009

I'm thinking of getting a colour laser printer for my business - but, hopefully, most of my printing will be done in black and white. I'm aware that something that looks as though it has been printed properly and reasonably professionally makes a better impact when seen by a prospective client - hence a move away from my inkjet which I will keep for any photographs I may want to print.

I've had a look in the Reviews in the forum; and a lot of them seem to date back quite a while. So, I'm seeking the advice I need here.

Probably I'll achieve most of my output by running a first print to produce a coloured, headed stationery as stock - which will be subsequently printed with the required black and white text.

Basic requirements:

* Readily available

* Absolute maximum price of £250

* Small footprint

* Good quality prints (not necessarily photographs)

* Reasonable running costs

* Refillable (by me) toner cartridges (colour and black)

* highly recommended by a user who reads this thread.

High speed is not really a major concern. Neither is multi-tray feed. After a few years of using an inkjet, I can put up with waiting a few seconds, while I do something else, for the print to emerge.

Cta

wiz-king 15:37 28 Mar 2009

HP 2605 if you have a desk strong enough! click here Toners from click here or if you like making a mess click here.
I have not tried refilling the toners yet, still using the originals! like all printers dont believe the time per page or the warm-up time.

Chris the Ancient 15:51 28 Mar 2009

Hmmm... that looks an interesting 'lump'. It's weight (18.5 kg!!!) doesn't really cause a problem as it will stand on a 2-drawer, wooden filing cabinet. I've yet to work out where I will put my inkjet... yet.

It's a pity that the 2-sided printing is only available on the network type models - but I can put up with that.

Certainly, that goes on the short list.

CtA

HondaMan 18:03 28 Mar 2009

OKI C5600 series or their replacements

HondaMan 18:04 28 Mar 2009

Sorry - just re-read your post. OKI's start at about double your limit

jack 15:20 29 Mar 2009

Purchased by me at Christmas for 1p less £100 from PCWorld on line
click here

aca 18:37 29 Mar 2009

Have the HP 2605dn (does double sided)

Excellent

Chris the Ancient 21:56 29 Mar 2009

Thanks, guys, for the continuing help.

I'll hang on a couple more days to get the weekday guys and then draw up my short list.

CtA

HondaMan 11:54 30 Mar 2009

click here#(any):MONO AND COLOUR:(any):50:200:PageNo_0:SortOrder_DOWN

Diemmess 13:28 30 Mar 2009

Might be worth looking over the HP site? They are even currently undercutting some agents!

Personally have just bought a P2055d Mono @ just under £160.
The colour version (both with automatic duplex) is £50 over your limit.

I'm pleased with mine. I was wary of paying too little. This has duplex printing too which my older one never had.
Best of all it handles paper in a sure and robust way.
The previous one would jam and spoil paper at a furious rate and anything more than single copies became very frustrating.

Chris the Ancient 19:25 30 Mar 2009

HondaMan
Diemmess

Some good stuff there.

Diemmess... pleased you're happy with HP. Many moons ago I had an HP Laserjet (can't remember the model) which was a right so-and-so as a paper scruncher. Perhaps they sorted that aspect out.

Anyone else with practical experience of some models to fit my criteria?

CtA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?