Recomend me a Graphics Card < £200

t.long 13:17 16 Jan 2010

It looks like my current graphics card is govong up the ghost so I am in need of a new one.

Currently I have a Asus GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB sitting on an Asus P5W DH Deluxe Motherboard with a Core 2 Duo E6850 (3Ghz) processor and 3 gig or RAM*.

I do play games, so it has to have some omph to it, but mainly MMO and RPGs so it does not have to be super by any means. I would like DirectX 11 support, though I undertand this will limit me a lot. No preference between ATI or Nvidea chipsets or manufacturers. Would like to spend no more than £200 but would go higher if a compeling reason could be had. And I would like somthing that is resonable quiet. I have a rather large case so size is not an issue.

*The motherboard will not take a 4th stick for some reason, and is out of warranty.

OTT_B 16:10 16 Jan 2010

Well, a £200 budget does give you a card that I would class as 'super'!

Looking at your board, it appears to support crossfire, so i'd highly recommend that you go down the ATI route. Even if you only put one card in for now, you can always add to it later.

You might just about be able to pick up an HD5850 for £200 if you shop around. An HD5770 is well inside your budget at around £120, but does not perform quite as well. With the games that you play, I'm not sure how much difference you'd notive between them though.

07patty 17:13 16 Jan 2010

although the HD5850 recommended by the guy above is the better card, i would go for the HD5770 (personally im just about to go for it). If OTT_B is right, and your motherboard supports crossfire, you could buy two of them and do that.

OTT_B 18:56 16 Jan 2010

I didn't recommend the HD5850. I mentioned it since it's (probably) available for the top end of t.long's budget and meets the preference for a DX11 card.
My final sentance was supposed to reference that the games played may not benefit much from the added performance from the HD5850. Apologies if i did not make myself clear.

t.long: if you go down the HD5770 route, do not buy 2 HD5770s as a first purchase. The rule of thumb here is to initially spend your budget on a single card. You can add another card in a year or two's time if you feel you need to. If you put two cards in now it will exhuast your budget and make it more difficult for a cost effective upgrade in the future.

AL47 20:19 16 Jan 2010

id go hd5850, i am, i plan to put 2 in when required, cause buying 2 lower speced models means you will have to get rid of 2 on upgrade! ull spend more
ie, 1 now + 1 later
or
2 now -> remove 2 add 1

its dx11, eyefinity [useful for me, multi monitor]

itll cost you 219 and maybe 210 if ur luckier than me

AL47 20:23 16 Jan 2010

oh, just noticed you said go higher.. do i am, i wanted to spend 200 but had to get the 5850 its the sweet spot!

link
click here

the 5850 is same price as the gtx 285
and far cheaper than the gtx 295 and is only a bit slower!

[the 5970 costs 450! haha}

GaT7 22:43 16 Jan 2010

t.long, make sure our PSU is up to the job for the 5850 if you choose it. It requires 2x dedicated 6-pin PCI-E connectors from the PSU.

A 5770 should do fine with your present PSU as long as it has 1x dedicated 6-pin PCI-E connector.

For a little more quietness/coolness over a standard 5770, consider a Sapphire Vapor-X branded card. Reviews at click here & click here.

OTT_B, are you the previous OTT_Buzzard who has shortened his/her username? G

OTT_B 23:19 16 Jan 2010

Yes. Is my style so inimitable as it could be no other? Or is it the sheer level of incompetance in the advice? ;)

GaT7 23:28 16 Jan 2010

Neither OTT_B. Since your name change, you've improved by leaps & bounds :-). Cutting down on some unwanted length must have done the trick! I'm going to consider changing mine to Cros. G

t.long 11:19 18 Jan 2010

In the end I have opted for the Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 Vapor-X for £135.51. I think I am better off saving the pennies for future use.

Thanks for the help guys.

OTT_B 11:43 18 Jan 2010

A wise choice.

Good luck!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache