recomend kvm for 2 monitors

bobbybowls 21:08 30 Jul 2009

Hi I am currently Quad booting xp,vista,win 7 and ubuntu. I am thinking of using a couple of old pc's I have laying about for xp and ubuntu. I have a duel monitor set up now and would like to have all three pc's linked to both of them.
Any recomendations. I have had dlink and belkin ones in the past but for only one monitor.

GaT7 23:53 30 Jul 2009

I use a KVM to connect 2 PCs to 1 set of peripherals: monitor, keyboard & mouse. This is standard KVM usage, & it works well for me.

You'd like to connect 3 PCs to 2 monitors but controlled by only ONE keyboard+mouse - is this correct? If yes, I'd be surprised if a KVM or similar device exists that will allow you to accomplish this.

However, if you use TWO sets of keyboards+mice, you could connect it in the following way:

PC1 (the dual-booting one perhaps) connected directly to 1 set of peripherals (including the 1st monitor)

PC2 & PC3 connected to a standard KVM using the other set of peripherals (including the 2nd monitor)

Of course, a greater than 2-port KVM will allow you to connect all 3 PCs to one set of peripherals, but that would leave out the 2nd monitor. G

GaT7 00:04 31 Jul 2009

Well, I may be wrong.

Just found this Lindy keyboard & mouse switch click here that works with 2 PCs, 2 monitors & one keyboards+mouse.

Now if only they make something similar that works with 3 PCs :-)

Contact the manufacturer to enquire click here. G

bobbybowls 00:16 31 Jul 2009

click here are kvm's that support duel monitors

bobbybowls 00:25 31 Jul 2009

crossbow 7, there are lots of business kvm's that let you connect multiple pc's and monitors. i was just wondering if anyone used such a setup and could recommend a company.

GaT7 00:26 31 Jul 2009

Wow, that isn't cheap at £200! And again the limitation of only 2 PCs, while you need 3?

Look into the Lindy one I suggested for under £30. I've since located it at their site too click here. PDF manual to see how it works, & whether it'll be suitable click here. G

GaT7 00:35 31 Jul 2009

"there are lots of business kvm's that let you connect multiple pc's and monitors" - really? Can you link to a few more that don't cost the earth, & even one that can function with the combo you require?

By 'combo' I mean 3 (or more) PCs, 2 monitors but only one set of keyboard+mouse. Remember, it shouldn't cost too much either. G

bobbybowls 00:38 31 Jul 2009

thats the problem if only money grew on trees:-)click here up to 512 pc's/servers

bobbybowls 00:55 31 Jul 2009

I have looked at the one you linked to. It is not duel monitor, it is one monitor per pc. when you move the mouse to the other monitor it activates the other pc.

bobbybowls 01:06 31 Jul 2009

There is this but again it costs £619 click here

GaT7 01:58 31 Jul 2009

Yes, your last one would do too - except for the price!

If you can make do with VGA connectors, then this Aten CS1744 click here for ~£100 would be suitable too. Not bad I guess, but I'd only find that reasonable if it had DVI connectors. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?