Recharging Standard Disposable Batteries

AlanHo 16:28 26 Apr 2010

I have seen an advert for an electronically controlled battery charger that is claimed to be able to recharge standard disposable batteries over and over again.

I am cynical about the claim but has anyone here used one successfully...?

wiz-king 16:49 26 Apr 2010

They have been about for years, but are not very successful. Cells tend to leak and the amount of times you can recharge a dry cell is limited, also you have to recharge them before they are fully discharged.
I have not tried the latest ones but definitely would not bother with one until I have seen a reliable test report.

961 17:39 26 Apr 2010

The price of good quality rechargeable batteries is now so little more than branded disposables that it's not worth trying to recharge disposables

ame 21:00 26 Apr 2010

Why bother? You can get dirt cheap rechargeable batteries at 7dayshop.com or elsewhere.

AlanHo 21:06 26 Apr 2010

I appreciate your advice guys but I am fully aware of the availability of cheap rechageable batteries.

My question still stands - has anyone here got actual experience of recharging disposable batteries. I have a reason for asking. If so - are you able to confirm that it works..?

interzone55 21:23 26 Apr 2010

We used to pop them on top of the gas fire for a while to warm them up a bit. Seemed to give them a bit more life...

onthelimit 21:44 26 Apr 2010

Normal batteries use a chemical reaction to generate power. Ergo, once the chewmicals have been exhausted, no more power. It's a con (IMHO).

interzone55 09:14 27 Apr 2010

The chemical reaction moves electrons from one place to another.

It is possible to move some of those electrons back, this is how rechargeable batteries work, and to a certain extent this can be achieved with standard alkaline and zinc-carbon batteries.

NiCad, NiMh and Li-ion batteries are designed to be recharged, and have special seals and shielding to prevent leakage and explosions (doesn't always work, as Sony found out to their huge cost), standard dry cell batteries are not designed to be recharged. So whilst it is possible to revive these batteries to some extent, there is also a risk of leakage damaging either the charger, or the equipment using the batteries; or worse the batteries could explode, which isn't something you want to happen...

Strawballs 10:09 27 Apr 2010

A friend of mine from work has one and said it does work but as pointed out you have to catch them before they are fully flat or it will not work.

JoeC 16:07 27 Apr 2010

I have one of these battery charges. It does normal and rechargeable batteries. I regularly recharge normal batteries and I am actually doing some AAA's just now. Catch the normal battery before it is completely flat and it will recharge.The ones I am doing just now were easy to spot - the appliance began slowing down. The downside is that normal batteries will only recharge a couple of times (maybe three / four times) before they leak like crazy. It has saved me some money on normal batteries but I usually use the rechargeables anyway.

FEEBS 10:42 29 Apr 2010

If you buy one of these big 6v batteries for a big torch, take the top off carefully, cut the wires to the contacts you will find 24 AA batteries inside. They are just ordinary batteries but cheap.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?