Range on wireless pci network cards

VNAM75 13:12 10 Oct 2010

I want to add an old pc (XP, AMD 2ghz) to my home network. The current pc and router is upstairs and the old pc will be downstairs.

Will a standard pci card such as this one click here be able to get a signal from the router upstairs?

onthelimit 13:25 10 Oct 2010

I've had varying results with these cards - a lot depends on the construction of walls etc between router and PC. I tend to go for homeplugs now instead, but they are much more expensive.

VNAM75 13:41 10 Oct 2010

Ok, thanks. I don't want to spend too much on it really. It won't be going through walls, but through the ceiling so its plaster borad and wooden beams.

AL47 14:21 10 Oct 2010

click here

This is what I went for, if u draw a straight line from router to aerial I'm my house u go through one solid wall, the upstairs floor and a downstairs wall

It gets good reviews

rickf 16:16 10 Oct 2010

Get the EDimax usb wireless dongle. Less hassle installing and it works a treat. Just got one from Amazon last wk for £11.99 including free delivery

VNAM75 18:08 10 Oct 2010

Thanks, reason why I wanted a pci card was because there are limited usb slots on the pc. But I'm tempted to get this edimax usb adapter

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?