Radeon x1950 Pro 512mb AGP

Marko797 11:35 11 Sep 2007

I need to upgrade my grafs, but don't want to go to the expense/inconvenience of changing mobo etc, which would be necessary if I went for a PCIe card.

Has anyone got any views on this card?

Anyone able to offer suggestions on who the cheapest supplier might be? My research has found Dabs to be cheapest so far at £109. Thanks.

£94.65 - 256MB click here

£98.46 - 512MB click here

click here for some benchmark results.

Marko797 13:49 11 Sep 2007

Thanks Dave for taking the time to provide the info, much appreciated. I'm thinking of getting the 512mb.

Ancient Learner 13:52 11 Sep 2007

I also needed to upgrade my Graphics and plunged for one of these.

When it arrived I read the box and saw that it said I needed at least a 450watt PSU. Mine was only 300watt, so I had buy another. unfortuneately, the PSU went faulty after only 2 weeks, but the supplier swapped it for a new one with no problem.

I find that the Radeon x1950 Pro 512mb AGP is super and does its job very well.

Ancient Learner 13:53 11 Sep 2007

I also needed to upgrade my Graphics and plunged for one of these.

When it arrived I read the box and saw that it said I needed at least a 450watt PSU. Mine was only 300watt, so I had buy another. unfortuneately, the PSU went faulty after only 2 weeks, but the supplier swapped it for a new one with no problem.

I find that the Radeon x1950 Pro 512mb AGP is super and does its job very well.

Ancient Learner 13:53 11 Sep 2007

Don't know how I managed to double post - sorry!

Marko797 13:58 11 Sep 2007

Thnx AL. I currently have X800 Plat Ed, & have a 550w PSU, so should be OK from a PSU perspective. The X800 doesn't support Shader 3.0. which some of the latest games demand, hence the reason for the need to upgrade. E.g. I have Medal of Honor: Airborne & can't play it bcos of my current card. Frustrating.

Marko797 13:59 11 Sep 2007

Are HIS the makers of the card which Dave provided the link for? If so, are their cards made under licence from ATI?

My understanding (and it might be wrong) is that ATI produce the actual GPUs which other companies (such as HIS, Sapphire, Connect3D etc) then use to put the graphics card together using the criteria specified by ATI.

I don't think ATI actually sell complete graphics cards to the public (and again I could be wrong about that).

Here is some information about HIS - click here

Totally-braindead 23:48 11 Sep 2007

This is definatly worth a read click here includes AGP as well as PCIE

Marko797 09:37 12 Sep 2007

to u all for providing info (good link TB), very much appreciated. Seems the X1950 Pro is a good card & will avoid the necessity for other upgrades to mobo etc...at least in the short term. Many thnx again, I'll mark this as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?