Question about buying on EBay

merc. 15:29 10 Jul 2006

Not to technical minded on mobile phones so my question is.

If I bought a new? unlocked Sim free phone on EBay if I just put my old Sim card in it will it work OK and still use my old phone number.

Or are they any other pitfalls buying a phone that are supposed to unwanted free upgrades

Ones looking at are the Samsung D600

Thanks the now

Merc

SG Atlantis® 17:04 10 Jul 2006

the prices you pay for mobiles on ebay aren't worth it half the time.

In theory it should be ok, yes pop your sim in and carry on with your old number.

But.... It could be stolen, it will DEFINATELY NOT have a warranty and...

If it gets reported stolen or claimed lost on an insurance claim it will be barred permanently in the UK from every single Network.

A guide second hand price for a d600 would be for me around £90 to £100 inc. delivery maximum. They can be had now on PAYG for £160ish brand new.

SG Atlantis® 17:10 10 Jul 2006

£149 now brand new click here

selling for almost the same money second hand on ebay click here

I know where I'd go....

Carphone warehouse- sell all their mobiles unlocked already, they're independant and buy all handsets from the manufacturer rather than the networks! Means you can pop your old SIM into it no problems.

So get them to price match phones 4u (they will) and you're sorted.

Naeris 19:26 10 Jul 2006

Just an opposing opinion to SG Atlantis' point above. I sell all my old contract phones on eBay every year and always give full details in the listing including any cosmetic damage, faults etc. Just to let you know that there ARE some genuine poeple on eBay too!

Working lunch (B.B.C.2 12-30pm) on friday are answering questions on everything to do with ebay. Just send them in.

merc. 11:48 11 Jul 2006

SG Atlantis®
Thanks for advice,got deal at Carphone Warehouse price matched to same price as Phones 4us £149.95 Carphone wanted £209.00 to start with so looks like deal!.

As you said there phones are unlocked so I can keep old Sim card save hassle of getting changed over.

Thanks to rest of forum members for replies

Merc

SG Atlantis® 11:51 11 Jul 2006

gald to help.

...enjoy your brand new toy, lol.

Regards

SG

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?