Quality of Inkjet paper

ened 15:24 09 Feb 2009

Am I correct in thinking the wieght of the paper is the most vital factor to look for?

I am thinking of buying some paper from click here for my new Brother printer.

Whilst it is only £10, which is half the price of genuine Brother paper, I don't want to buy it if there are other considerations to make.

The prints I have made on the (supplied) Brother paper are superlative and it weighs 260 g/m2.

Terry Brown 15:44 09 Feb 2009

It all depends on what you want to use the printer for.

If you want High Quality business letters and documents, then go for a good quality paper, but for everyday printing, the copy paper you but for under£2.00 at ASDA or TESCO is good enough

Terry

natdoor 15:49 09 Feb 2009

It is certainly a major factor. For text, one can get away with 80 gsm and for colour prints I think 170 gsm is about the minimum.

Woolwell 16:02 09 Feb 2009

When using an inkjet to get paper designed for an inkjet otherwise you can get bleed and blurring of text. For photos it is best to get photopaper which has a coating and it is a combination of weight and the finish. click here
I have used generic printer paper for text with my printer with success.

ened 16:03 09 Feb 2009

I bought the printer because I want to print the (few) really good pictures that I have taken on A3.

So I am looking for quality paper. I should add that the pictures I have already printed are great and the Choice ones are around the same weight for half the price.

But I was wondering if there are any other factors to take into consideration?

BT 16:32 09 Feb 2009

Have a look here for good quality paper. Their Photopaper is very good.

click here

Diemmess 17:48 09 Feb 2009

This is a perennial problem.

You need a yardstick of sorts.

It ought to be safe to assume that using the printer maker's own paper (premium glossy) and ink cannot be bettered.

So
Why not buy minimum quantities of each, choose a test picture and make the best picture you can, at a size you will be using often?

Then when you buy cheap paper or look-alike ink you will have the benchmark sample to compare results.

I use a cheapish mono laser mostly, but when I have some pics to print, the printer is an ageing Epson 870.

Only today I did two prints of the same scene on cheap Photo glossy. the first by accident was set for 360 dot inkjet paper, the second for Photo paper(Epson menu).
I really couldn't see any difference!

I have this sneaky unsubstantiated feeling that perhaps the ink is more important than the paper?
I do believe that when in doubt, setting the paper quality as at least one grade lower than reallity is most times better.

oresome 17:59 09 Feb 2009

The quality of the paper is crucial to the quality of the finished print. More so than the ink in my experience.

Using the printer manufacturers paper is a safe if sometimes expensive way of getting good results and other papers are trial and error which can work out cheaper if you hit on a good one early on, but expensive in both wasted paper and ink for all the duds.

Coupled to this of course are all the variables you can set before making the print. A bit of a minefield really.

oresome 18:03 09 Feb 2009

If you're printing just a few A3 size and you are pleased with the supplied paper, I would continue using it. Wasted A3s will be very expensive and negate any possible saving in paper cost.

Kevscar1 18:19 09 Feb 2009

I have been ptinting Photos for many years on Epson. As long as the own brand paper is the same weight there is no difference in the quality. I also switched to compatible inks because there was no difference

ened 18:19 09 Feb 2009

"I do believe that when in doubt, setting the paper quality as at least one grade lower than reallity is most times better."

That is interesting.

Could you explain that? I always tend to go the other way. I had never thoughjt of it; are you doing that through experience or from theory?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone