Purchases via the internet

S5W 19:31 06 May 2004

During the past couple of days I met up with some old buddies, all avid internet browsers but none of whom have considered buying anything via the web because of security doubts.

On this forum I am probably preaching to the converted but I thought my experience of internet purchasing might help those of a nervous disposition.

For over two years I have bought just about everything from accommodation to wine racks from thirty or so different retailers here and abroad, using my computer. All purchases have been good value in my opinion, but not necessarily the cheapest. Vendor service and delivery have been almost always superior to over the phone mail order and as yet I have experienced no credit card problems.

I believe that as long as you deal with reputable companies and buy via secure sites then the internet is more secure than the telephone, or after recent revelations, than the post. It is often possible to view an article at a local retailer's and then to buy it cheaper and with quicker delivery on the web. Give it a try.

I am an old bald mechanical engineer with no pecuniary interest in any retailer or website.

accord 20:17 06 May 2004

as long as one uses their credit card then i think you will be fine with online purchases as the card co's all have online guarantees.

i personally havent had any problems with online purchases and do so quite regularly.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:21 06 May 2004

You have a lot more chance of your card being cloned when you pay for petrol rather than on the net.

G

alB 20:46 06 May 2004

I do all my banking and buying online and have never had a problem, recently I applied for a "postal ISA" account from a well known high street B/S, I filled the application in, enclosed my forms of identification and a cheque and sent the lot off, quess what, they never received it, I've learnt my lesson, next time I'll stick to the internet...alB

alB 20:47 06 May 2004

for quess read guess !!!

Forum Editor 21:21 06 May 2004

and of course it does occur - in fact it occurs a lot. It occurs a lot offline as well, but because it's not as newsworthy as internet fraud that side of the story tends not to be as well publicised.

In fact it's always safer to submit your card details via a secure web site than it is to pass them to a total stranger over the phone - and millions of people take that particular risk every day without a second thought. Secure web transactions are very secure - far more so than telephone or mail transactions - and instances of card fraud are very often the result of a failure of commonsense on the part of the cardholder. Credit cards are the common currency of an affluent society, and the internet is here to stay. Online purchases form an increasingly large proportion of all card transactions, and this is a trend that will continue. Use your card with commonsense - always look for the secure site indicators before entering the details into a web form. If you don't see https:// in front of the page address, or a small padlock symbol in your browser you should think twice - an insecure web page can be seen by virtually anyone, whereas a properly configured secure page session is between you and the remote server. The information is encrypted until retrieved by the seller, and nobody else can see it - no matter how hard they try.

byfordr 22:36 06 May 2004

Just came home to 8 boxes of pc bits that have been delivered. 95% of the time I get exactly what I ordered. Out of the boxes (all different companies) only two slight mistakes. 1 extra cable in one (will be contacting the company tomorrow) and a couple of 4x dvds instead of 8x in another. Not the end of the world, should all be sorted quickly tomorrow. Certainly a lot cheaper and less hassle than going to a shop.

I've been shopping online for over 6 years. So far no problems with fraud, and relatively little hassle with suppliers.

R

Belatucadrus 23:28 06 May 2004

Just think back only a few years when most credit card transactions were carried out using manual machines and multi part carbon forms. Every transaction resulted in a multitude of sheets of paper with a copy not only of the complete card number but of your signature, all entrusted to people you didn't know and would possibly never see again. Encryption level zero bit.

I think I prefer the new tech to the old.

mbp 14:42 07 May 2004

I have not yet encountered many sites using the new pin number, as added security via their HTTPS sites. Does anyone know if this will be introduced and whether it will help to make fraud a little more difficult?

S5W 17:11 07 May 2004

I don't think you will be able to use a pin number on the web but I may well be wrong.

FE: Very good advice, thanks.

I knew I would be preaching to the converted on here :-))

canard 19:20 07 May 2004

Bought lots from fridge to emu oil and everything hunky dory except for endless agro[ eventually sorted]with Littlewoods List and a disaster with Musica who took order then emailed to say not in stock. Cancelled and they went off line -came back answered 1st email then bounced all the rest back Result £8.45 down the pan. They're still online and selling but would never dare to use again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?