projector lamp life

jack 10:35 20 Dec 2007

This I suppose as a discussion topic for 'Speaker Corner' as there no issue - as yet.
A group that I am a member of has acquired some kit with the aid of a grant.
One of the items is an Epson media projector.
I fell to me to give a demo to interested group leaders together with its companion laptop.

The discussion then arose around lamp life and replacement costs - pricey it seems.
But then one of the group reading the spec.announced
'This does not stack up'
He quoted - the device came with a 3 year warranty. and 90 days for the lamp.
Also in the spec it gave anticipated lamp life depending on the the mode of use 2 to 3000 hours.
What he was getting at- if the machine was in constant use for 24 hours a day- there would still be 'Warranty' time left for the lamp hours of use guarantee after the 90 day cover is up.
So- what would happen if .............

wiz-king 18:01 20 Dec 2007

"anticipated lamp life depending on the the mode of use 2 to 3000 hours." I would be a litte miffed at 2 hours!

jack 20:03 20 Dec 2007

lol. Whiz so would I
you should have interpreted that as 2000/3000 hrs
of course.
Taking that calculation a bit further, I reasoned that if the device got 4 x2 hours shows a month, that would be pretty good going.
So that would work out at lets say 100 a year.
Assuming the lamp life projection is best scenario and we only get 2000, that could be approx 20 years life- well at those projection the lamp life does not come into the picture
or does it?

interzone55 20:59 20 Dec 2007

You will need to take some care of the lamp in order to get maximum life.

Don't do a lot of switching on & off - ie once it's on, leave it on for the duration of the movie / presentation.

When you switch the lamp off, leave the power on for a while to let the fan cool the lamp, and don't move it for a while - the lamps are hotter than a very hot thing when powered up, so the projector needs careful handling so as not to jolt the lamp when it's hot.

interzone55 21:00 20 Dec 2007

from experience with a Sony projector, you'll get a warning "on screen" when the lamp is reaching the end of it's life

SB23 21:12 20 Dec 2007

I think that its something that you may need to check.
Where was it purchased from? The reason I ask is that years ago when I used to work for a well known electrical outlet the big projection screen tv's that we used to sell obviously work in a similar way, and I know that although they did come with a guarantee, and that we used to offer the extension, the main bulb was excluded from that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?