processor upgrade

daz999 11:44 03 Dec 2004

Hello I need some advice I am a novice with pc upgrades so please bear with Me.

At the moment I am using a Evesham amd 3000 plus pc with a Asus delux mother board a7n8x.

Firstly would it be an easiy task to up grade My processor with a amd athlon fx 53 and still use the same mother board or would I have to change that as well.If so what mother boar do you recommend.
Secondly My graphics card is a Radeon 9800 pro card would this work with the new processor.

regards daz999

It sounds as if you need to update your PC drivers not upgrade your mobo or processor What you appear to have will last you for a few more years yet 3000 is plenty fast enough your mobo is good enough. Visit the click here for all your mobo drivers & update. You do not say what graphics card or sound card you may have certainly purchase a good graphics card if you want to play games Radeon 7200 or better depending on your pocket & update all the drivers as soon as you have successfully installed Check all your software for updates on their sites.
a lot easier on the pocket than spending time on changing what you already have

daz999 12:15 03 Dec 2004

Thank You for the quick response I will update My drivers now

TomJerry 21:01 03 Dec 2004

or computational bilogist?

Mr Mistoffelees 21:11 03 Dec 2004

What is a " computational bilogist"?

gobi 22:00 03 Dec 2004

Your rig is on the top range of Athlon XP setup. It would serve normal gaming task well enough. But, if you are into some power hungry application, or just itching for better performance, you might try to overclock your current setup. There is a lot of guide and forum out there that explain the method but I have to warn you that this will void your warranty.
An easier (more expensive) way is to physically upgrade the component. The cheapest is to upgrade your RAM (more RAM or higher speed RAM: DDR400). If you really want to upgrade your processor, unfortunately you are out of option as you already have the second fastest Athlon XP. The fastest Athlon XP i.e. 3200 won't differ much from your existing cpu. An Athlon FX53 won't fit into your Asus A7N8X mobo as it is a socket 939 and your mobo is a socket A mobo. You will have to get a socket 939 mobo if you want to buy FX53. A8N-SLI Del is a great 939 mobo, though it won't support your 9800 Radeon. You need to get a PCI Express graphic card. Hope this help.

gobi 23:19 03 Dec 2004

If you want FX53 and use your 9800, you could get the Asus A8V mobo.

daz999 07:55 04 Dec 2004

Thanks for the help really I am just power hungry at the moment I go through stages like this ha ha.I would imagine changing the mobo and processor is not for the faint hearted am I right in saying this.

961 09:47 04 Dec 2004

There is nothing difficult about changing the motherboard and processor but it is not something to do without a little previous knowledge of the inside of a computer case and a good computer book. More a matter of proceeding carefully and methodically

I tend to agree that you will gain little in performance above your existing machine, but for the future you might like to look at click here and borrow or buy "Upgrading and repairing PCs" by Scott Mueller

daz999 11:27 04 Dec 2004

Thanks for the link interesting reading thanks again

wjrt 13:44 04 Dec 2004

click here#_
try here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?