Problems with Philips Warranty

Erlend 10:39 29 Sep 2009

I bought a 20" monitor from Philips which had a three year warranty. This monitor stopped working on the 10th of August 2009, while still under this warranty. Since Philips apparently did not have a suitable replacement monitor they took my current monitor in for repair. Seven weeks later I am still waiting for the repair to be completed. I have called their customer support line many times over the last few weeks to be told simply that my monitor is somewhere in south east Asia and is "Awaiting parts". They have no idea of when the parts will be available.
I would like to ask you, is there a way to get this resolved? This is not the first difficulty I have had with Philips honouring warranty agreements, and I seriously need my monitor back for work.

Thank you,

Erlend Davidson

jack 12:34 29 Sep 2009

Which is relevant as to the sort of response you get from Philips.
If within the first year then I imagine a replacement is due not a repair.
Nor can I imagine the item would be shipped abroad for rectification, this sound like a 'pat' excuse.
Take look at

click here

Erlend 13:17 29 Sep 2009

The monitor was purchased just over three years ago - Philips were made aware of the fault before the end of my three year warranty period, and they took the monitor from me for repair without question.

jack 16:59 29 Sep 2009

Is how long is it reasonable for a repair facility to keep an item due to lack of parts?
An assuming none are coming in the near future what sort of replacement can they offer.
Moreover if as you say this is a work vital piece of kit
Then they must be aware they could made liable for any consequential loss.

What do other members have to say?

spuds 19:40 29 Sep 2009

Seems strange that they have sent it all the way to SEA for a repair. Normally you would expect a 'swap-out' with a monitor of similar or perhaps better specification.

Send them a letter, explaining that you think 7 weeks is enough time for resolving the issue, and state that you will give them a time-span in which to do so. UK consumer law, usually suggests a 'reasonable time', and anything possibly reaching 7 weeks or more could be possibly classed as becoming un-reasonable, especially if they cannot provide an answer if or when the item will be returned.

You could seek further advice from Consumer Direct click here

spuds 19:47 29 Sep 2009

Perhaps I should have mentioned, that a manufacturers warranty is a 'goodwill gesture' provided by the manufacturer, and this as nothing to do with your consumer rights with a/the retailer you originally purchased the item from.

jack 10:39 30 Sep 2009

Is a very interesting aspect to consider.
When my colour laser was purchased last December I completed and forwarded the 'Manufacturers Warranty registration card'
So that when recently it was showing a faded printout after only about 500 pages these are the people I contacted rather than the seller.
The on site engineer explained the ins and out and showed me the ailing cartridge - he never the less organized a free replacement- so that was OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone