problems with Onspeed update

andy0 12:14 25 Dec 2006

I installed the new version of Onspeed when prompted the other day.

It contains the Yahoo toolbar, now no longer offered as an option but installed anyway without any notice whatsoever or permission granted in the licence agreement.

This seems to clash with other products in my PC. Onspeed say it is my security settings, but it may be with other toolbars, as a query box came up asking to remove or hide other toolbars.

In my case, it crippled the PC and rendered it totally useless for browsing, and I've asked that they revise this new version or delay the eventual forced download of it.

They sent me the old version, and I uninstalled the new and reinstalled the old.

I read on another forum that the Yahoo bar includes advertising links, and perhaps will mandate another software product later.

I've told them I want my choice of other software in my PC, not to be forced by their so-called sponsorship agreement with Yahoo.

I wonder if anyone else has had problems?

Stuartli 13:35 25 Dec 2006

Few, I would guess. To me ONSpeed is the Emperor's new clothes...:-)

Firefox has FineTune Firefox and Faster Firefox to name but two, whilst a straighforward Registry tweak will cover Internet Explorer.

See:

click here

grumpygramp 13:35 25 Dec 2006

Several products I have installed lately have had the Yahoo as an "Option" which I have declined .Like you I want the choice of what is installed on my PC.

andy0 14:39 25 Dec 2006

I was very happy with Onspeed until this.

I don't think a registry tweak would give data compression of up to 30 times, average 5, which more than pays for itself on capped-bandwidth cheap broadband

Stuartli 16:40 25 Dec 2006

Tiscali's Accelerator is basically the same thing:

click here

click here

Stuartli 16:44 25 Dec 2006

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?