Problems with ComputerPlanet.co.uk?

Kylam 20:45 02 Dec 2008

I ordered the following set up from Computerplanet.co.uk on 24/10/08 at a cost of £1,445.84 inc VAT.

Intel Core 2 Duo
Floppy Disk Drive 1.44 MB - Black
10 X USB 2.0 Ports
Motherboard Integrated Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready)
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-BIT (Genuine DVD & COA Included)
1 TB (1000 GB) SATA-II HDD UDMA 300 7200 32MB
LG (GGW-H20L) Blu-Ray/DVD Disc Re-Writer & HD DVD-ROM - Black (SATA)
Corsair XMS2 4GB PC2-8500 1066 MHZ (2 x 2 GB) - Lifetime Warranty (DDR2)
ASUS (DRW-2014L1T) DVD +/- RW 20x - Black - Lightscribe (SATA)
1 TB (1000 GB) SATA-II HDD UDMA 300 7200 32MB
Creative X-FI Xtreme Gamer 7.1 (PCI)
ANTEC Midi Three Hundred Black
Cooler Master Hyper Z600 - Silent
ASUS P5Q DELUXE 1600FSB (Intel P45)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 (4 x 2.83 GHZ) 1333FSB - 12 MB
Restore DVD & Original Operating System DVD
Built & Tested CP
RAID 1 (Mirror)
OCZ 700W Game XStream - Low Noise
ATI Radeon HD 4870 - 1 GB - 2xDVI/VGA (Palit) - OverClocked
E-Mail/MSN Support
12 Months Collect & Return
Standard - 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Standard (7-9 Working Days)
UK Mainland

Despite several emails (after the 7-9 working day time frame was passed) the computer was not delivered until 11/11/08, 12 working days. Upon switching on the computer, it totally failed to boot up and constantly turned itself on and off.

I immediately invoked the “12 Months Collect & Return”, CP told me the next available collection was 17/11/08 and the unit must be collected from the delivery address and not my workplace, they confirmed that I had booked the collection.

After my mother waited home all day for the collection, I telephoned UPS at 5pm to be told that CP actually hadn’t confirmed the collection with them.

I then arranged direct with UPS for them to collect the unit the very next day! From my office!

It is now 2/12/08 and today I have finally received the computer back again. AND IT STILL DOES NOT WORK!!

This time I am getting CPU Over Temperature Error codes and the thought of going through this nightmare again is enough to make me go back to Dell.

Has anyone else dealt with this company before or can anyone offer me any advice as to where I should take my complaints if I wish to pursue this?

Ultimately I suppose I am ready to start thinking about asking for a refund but I understand that a separate set of consumer rights apply as this is a “custom build” item?

Thank you for any advice you may be able to offer (in advance!)

ronalddonald 21:15 02 Dec 2008

click here

Why the heck you didn't read the reviews on this company i will never know.

spuds 21:16 02 Dec 2008
  Kylam 21:45 02 Dec 2008

Hello RonaldDonald,

Unfortunately I have only come across this website today. Thank you for the link.

Forum Editor 00:33 03 Dec 2008

at your request, from a list of standard components offered at the time of ordering on a supplier's website, the advice offered by the Office of Fair trading is that your purchase will still be eligible under the 7 days refund rule - you would be entitled to request a full refund - without giving any reason - within 7 days of the date the machine was delivered.

Even if that doesn't apply in this case you are protected by the sale of goods act - the computer must be 'fit' for the purpose for which it was sold. If you're unhappy with the situation - and you obviously are -you might consider telling the supplier that you are rejecting the machine, and that you require a full refund. Alternatively, you may wish to offer them a chance to rectify the problem once and for all, but do so in writing

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?