Problem with new AVG LinkScanner software

goforit 17:58 20 Apr 2009

Hi,
I saw the PC Advisor headline advertising this free download and promptly installed it. BUT then it would not even load my Home Page (iGoogle) or some of my favorite links.

I had to uninstall to regain access. It may have clashed with my ESET Nod 32 anti-virus and anti-spam. Funny thing is, it allowed my Lloyds TSB login page but that is about all.

Any thoughts?
System: Win XP Pro.

Thanks

birdface 20:42 20 Apr 2009

It would probably have downloaded the free version of AVG with the link scanner attached so it would clash with Nod 32.

You are probably looking for something that warns you when entering bad sites that is what the link scanner does.

Maybe try WOT.Or McAfee Site Advisor both of those do the same as the link scanner and will not interfere with Nod32.

birdface 20:46 20 Apr 2009

Oops they have Link Scanner separate now.My apologies.

click here

it just does the same job as the other two that I mentioned so maybe try one of those instead.

goforit 17:13 21 Apr 2009

Hi Buteman,
Many thanks for replying and supplying the link to this. This is the one I downloaded though, the one that wouldn't work! :(

birdface 17:25 21 Apr 2009

I use AVG but refused the Link Scanner when downloading it so not sure why the bother with it.All it did was show an icon that changed color before opening any pages.No idea why this new one is acting up.

birdface 21:23 23 Apr 2009

Looks like you are the only one that has tried the new link scanner.And without any success.So does not look as though it is a big hit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017