Problem with HP laptop (DV9000) - How to proceed?

My uncle purchased a HP Pavilion DV9000 laptop in January 2008 for approx £750 from PC World.

Last week, a fault occured where after pressing the power button to turn on the laptop, all the fans and lights would come to life, but absolutely nothing would appear on the screen. I tested the laptop's screen and RAM to rule out those as the source of the problem. I then looked online and discovered that it is in fact a very common fault.

The fault is caused by the poor design of the single heatsink that cools both the CPU and GPU. It is inadequate for the job, and ultimitely leads to the failure of the GPU.

I sent HP an e-mail yesterday describing the fault, and what I had discovered online. Their reply was a very generic one along the lines of "your computer is out of warranty, you can pay us to repair it, or for free support visit our website where you can download drivers etc."

I feel that as the fault has been caused by a poor design, the laptop has been in effect a ticking time bomb, and that my uncle should not have to fork out for the repair. I'm not sure how to proceed though - I don't think that a human has even read past the first line of the e-mail I sent to HP, so should I persevere with them or should I take the laptop back to the retailer, PC World, even though it is 2.5 years old.

click here is a rather good YouTube video that explains the fault and shows how to repair it at home (although it's a far from simple repair, and I will only attempt that as an absolute last resort!)

click here illustrates how widespread the problem is.

click here is an acknowledgement by HP that the fault exists, however the service tag of my uncle's laptop is not included in the table. His begins dv96.

Thanks

961 15:14 15 Sep 2010

First I think you're wasting your time with HP. They are aware of the fault and have extended the warranty in respect of goods bought in North America to 24 months from the start of the original warranty. So yours would be out of that extended warranty by Jan 2010

Second, the repair takes 2.5 hours according to the guy on the video. That rules out getting it done at a computer workshop. Too expensive

Thirdly, laptops are not easy to work on. If you don't have the sort of experience to DIY don't bother going there

I appreciate your frustration. The only suggestion you may care to try is to see the Manager of your local, or write to the head office of PCWorld and explain the situation in detail to them. Ask if they will offer you a large goodwill discount on a new laptop. It's really the only way out of this unless you want to throw a large chunk of dosh at this sad example of a laptop

And next time try Acer or Dell

If PCWorld won't play I can recommend click here for good value and service

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay in responding. I did as you suggested and took the laptop back to PC World. The staff there said that there was nothing they could do at store level but suggested I contact customer services which I have done by e-mail. I am now awaiting their reply.

961 16:26 17 Sep 2010

Be persistent and polite. You've got nothing to lose

Do not be fobbed off and remember to refer them to the links you have posted here reminding them that HP knows all about this problem.

Ask them to escalate your problem to Chief Exec of PC World and ask for his address so that you can write to him personally

Continue to press for a discount on a new laptop

Incidentally I don't quite accept that staff said there was nothing they could do. Did you see the manager?

We only spoke to the staff that were on the customer services desk (where the repairs are performed). I'm quite happy to try Head Office Customer Services for now, and if I don't have any success then I will return to the store to see the manager.

961 16:51 17 Sep 2010

Customer services desk staff are basically interested (forgive me, years of experience) in clearing the queue and getting on to the next customer. The answer you were given is classic in getting you out of the queue and suggesting you take your problem somewhere else

If head office customer services does not do the business return to the local store and just ask to see the manager. Sit down and wait till he appears. If he is "at lunch", "busy", "tied up" just say you're happy to wait. If it's his day off, ask when he will be in and ask for an appointment. If he won't do the business, gently ask him for the name and address of PCWorld Chief Exec so that you can write to him to express your disappointment.

Stay calm, stay polite, but DON'T allow yourself to be fobbed off. You really have nothing to lose by being persistent and sitting on a chair while they decide what they need to come across with to make you turn into a resolved problem

961 16:55 17 Sep 2010

I'm a persistent bug"er

What's stopping you becoming one as well?

"I was concerned to learn of the problems you have encountered with your HP laptop. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience this has caused.

I can confirm that you would need to return this product to your local store, once they have inspected and confirmed the fault please ask them to contact us on 0844 800 9090. Please ask that they quote the above reference number and my extension of xxxx. I will be available Tuesday-Friday 11.45-8pm. we would then be in position to offer a repair on this product if it is confirmed to be a manufacturing issue."

I shall do as instructed and let you know how I get on. At least it looks promising.

karmgord 21:04 26 Sep 2010

I would start a claim against PC World in the small claims court if PC world refused to repair or replace the notebook free of charge, stating that:under the sale of goods act it would be very easy to show that this is an inherent fault and that the goods have not lasted as long as could be reasonably been expected for a £750 notebook.
The S.O.G act cover goods up to 6yrs old.
Show them all the evidence you have showing that it's a known fault.

Everything looked promising at first when dealing with Ian (the person that sent the e-mail in my last post), however the laptop was purchased through by my grandfather's company and Ian only dealt with domestic purchases therefore we were told to contact the business department.

Their attitude has basically been that since the laptop was a business purchase, the Sale Of Goods act does not apply and they are therefore refusing to offer any sort of support and have referred us back to HP.

My grandfather (who is the one actually dealing with this, not me - I am just passing the advice on) now plans to write to someone senior at Head Office and express his disappointment with the way that this has been handeled.

Something else I should also clarify is that I had the original price wrong - I was told that the one I was given was excluding VAT so I added 17.5% to arrive at £750. That was an error and it was in fact already including VAT so it actually cost somewhere around £650 (I don't have the paperwork to hand), not that it makes much difference.

murntine 09:29 19 Oct 2010

Sorry mate, looks like there's nothing you can do when it's out of warranty. But dont take it to PC world for repair, they'll charge you extra. Find a laptop repairs company near you. I'd recommend this one <a href=click here
>laptop repairs</a>, guys are really helping and friendly

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?