Printer/Scanner Solution needed

bargainhunt 18:05 28 Aug 2010

i am in very awkward situation.
i have old dell desktop (without monitor), lexmark all in one printer (which does not support Mac OS), Samsung laser printer (which also does not support Mac OS), Windows Laptop and a NEW iMac with wireless broadband router.

Question is because the old printers are not compatible with new imac, I need some solution to print and scan.

My options are:

- Connect old printers to desktop PC tower and connect PC tower to router via ethernet and use printers via sharing.

- Connect printers to windows laptop as needed but this restricts the use.

- Get rid of the two printers and desktop tower (which is not needed for anything else) and buy a new wireless all in one printer which works over both mac and windows. I can get £30 for the old desktop at local trader but nothing for printers as they are deemed worthless.

Can anyone help to come to conclusion.
thanks
bargainhunt

961 18:13 28 Aug 2010

Buy a new all in one printer

PalaeoBill 20:23 28 Aug 2010

Throw the lexmark in the nearest bin.

Stick your samsung laser printer in your local newspaper/advertiser if you can get get a cheap or free listing. Or a card in your newsagent window. If it works it must be worth a tenner to someone.

If you don't already have an e-bay account, set one up. Take your Dell apart completely, photograph the individual bits and list them separately. If still you have XP CD's or the Dell recovery CD's (which have XP on them), they definitely have value. A quick browse through e-bay will give you an idea of what to price the bits at. Your local trader is offering £30 for a reason. Probably that he expects to more than double it. The RAM and the PSU could well be worth that on their own.

Do take care selling the hard disk drive though. If you have had any personal data on it you would rather not fall into the wrong hands then a secure erase (not just a format)is advisable. Personally I would destroy it by putting a drill through it a few times if it was mine. But then I am paranoid.

bargainhunt 17:48 06 Sep 2010

thanks for your advice Palaeo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?