Printer ink refilling

rak 19:26 16 Nov 2003

We're trying to refill an Epson Stylus Photo 1290 black ink cartridge but at the ink recharge screen it refuses to answer. Even on the printer it says that black ink is low even though it is full. Can anyone tell us how to fix this?

shifty 20:39 16 Nov 2003

Are the cartridges chipped? They will need re-setting before the printer will recognise them. A zapper tool is what you need if they are chipped.

shifty 20:44 16 Nov 2003

Just had a look on the Choice stationary site and your cartridges are chipped. Have you got the required tool for re-setting the cartridge chip?

spuds 00:02 17 Nov 2003

Will these help! click here click here

rak 09:26 17 Nov 2003

Thank you shifty for your response.
Unfortunately I havn't a clue what this Zapper tool is> Please advise further as to what it is and where to get it from

Wilham 09:45 17 Nov 2003

Not Epson myself but I see Morrisons sell one at 6-99

shifty 12:37 17 Nov 2003

Have a look at click here for a cartridge zapper. Your printer is listed for this tool. It is basically a small scanner that you place in front of the chip on your cartridge, this then resets the chip so that the printer recognises it full.

shifty 12:40 17 Nov 2003

Sorry that link didn't work, it should have taken you to printcartidge.net and into the JR inket refill section where the zapper is listed. Type in JR inket in any search engine and it will give you a list of the available sites for the purchase of a zapper.

shifty 12:41 17 Nov 2003

That should read JR inkjet? not my day today.

Kegsy 12:42 17 Nov 2003

As I've said befor, is it really worth the hassle of refilling when compatibles are so cheap.

Stuartli 13:08 17 Nov 2003

Try using compatibles in an HP printer - quite often even original ones won't work....:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?