Printer enabled to print directly from usb drive?

saldobs 12:19 17 Oct 2007

Hi, wondered if anyone could advise me on whether there are printers available (preferably colour laser ones) that could be used to print anything - not just photos - from usb pen drives?
Thanks in advance for your help

interzone55 20:11 17 Oct 2007

It would probably be very difficult to achieve this as the printer would need to know how to print the file.

A Word Processor file is just a series of binary data that your Word Processor uses to layout the document. A printer is very unlikely to be able to manage that.

The best you could hope for is a printer that could print PDFs, as a PDF is essentially a screen version of a printer Postscript file.

bjh 20:24 17 Oct 2007

I think the Epson DX6000 and dx6050 do it... I have one in the other room, and will check it later tonight.

bjh 20:34 17 Oct 2007

No, it doesn't look like it does. I may have a more comprehensive answer tomorrow, if I get time to play. It doesn't seem to want to recognise anything but pictures.

Sorry.

jack 08:41 18 Oct 2007

Printers come in all shapes and sizes and abilities.
Those that have card ports and USB usually have the ability to read and print JPEG's
Some have limited editing facilities.

Beyond that all data must pass through an appropriate editing/writing program on a computer to be converted to a suitable data stream for the printer to process.

jack 08:45 18 Oct 2007

An 'All in one' for example has a simple 'computer' to enable scanning/card reading to print in the 'Stand Alone' mode- but it can do little more then transfer data from the card/scan section to printer head.
For a more, a computer proper has to be in there somewhere.

Curio 20:10 19 Oct 2007

If the USB pen drive is recognised by the PC as a new Hard Drive, surely the printer would accept and print documents as well as photos.

interzone55 21:28 19 Oct 2007

A computer can recognise a USB drive as a hard drive, and can open and edit most documents, providing it has the correct software in order to interpret the file.

Have you ever received a file by email that you couldn't open because you didn't have the correct software,for instance an Office 2007 file when you only have office 2003, or an Autocad drawing when you haven't got any CAD software...

The same is true with a printer, it can print JPEGs off a memory card or USB stick because it has a basic JPEG decoder onboard,but it's highlyunlikely that it will be able to decode an office file or any other text document.

As I stated previously, it's entirely possible that a standalone printer could print a simple PDF, because a PDF is essentially a screen based interpretation of a PostScript printer file.

Buzz217 21:29 19 Oct 2007

See this,

click here

Not Laser though.

Buzz217 21:33 19 Oct 2007

Then I found this,

click here

interzone55 21:52 20 Oct 2007

The lexmark only prints photos from the USB port.

The Brother MFD is a bit better, but still only prints PDFs, JPEGS and TIFF files.

From the manual
?? PDF version 1.6 1
?? JPEG
?? Exif + JPEG
?? PRN (created by MFC-9440CN driver)
?? TIFF (scanned by all MFC or DCP Brother
models)
?? PostScript® 3 ™ (created by the
MFC-9440CN BRScript3 printer driver)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?