printer compatability

Paul-has-more-of-a-clue...:@) 23:03 25 Jan 2006

Hello all

Can any printer more or less be conected to a laptop?

Cheers

Paul

Belatucadrus 23:28 25 Jan 2006

With miner provisos yes, as long as there are suitable connections. Most modern printers link to the PC via USB, this will be compatible with any modern XP equipped laptop. Older laptops with 98 or similar could encounter some problems, Dell printers for example don't have drivers for a pre XP OS.
New laptops may also encounter problems with older printers with parallel port connections, though it is possible to get adapter usb/parallel cables.

jack 08:45 26 Jan 2006

As with Belacturus - in a word yes!
The two connections are parrallel and USB- usually a printer symbol is stamped on the backplane to I/D the connection
The current is USB and likely as not you will no find a current printer with the former.

If your Lappie is an older model with both connections, it is highly likely that your 'new' printer as said wont have dirvers for older system.
But us it very likely that your operating system has ,in its built in library, and highly likely that driver from the same stable of printer make model will run the printer if of the same model family.

wee eddie 16:53 26 Jan 2006

You must have dug deep for your first sentence!

Belatucadrus 21:14 26 Jan 2006

I appear to have dug myself a whole, butt how to extricate myself ? The wonders of the spell check, never disengage brain when proof reading or you can make minor errors.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?