The price of laser printer toner cartridges

Armchair 10:43 11 Jun 2009

I bought this Canon LBP 3000 for £29.99 last year, and while the cartridge isn't empty yet, I thought I'd price up a replacement cartridge now anyway. Found it in Staples for £57. Shocked at this, I've had a quick look online, and it appears to be par for the course, or £38 for a 'remanufactured' cartridge.

I won't be buying another one at those prices. Why are they so high, though? Is there a massive government tax on them, like on petrol, or something?!

Diemmess 11:24 11 Jun 2009

In my view, and the same thing happens with ink-jets.......

If you paid rock bottom price for a simple printer, then replacement ink or toner may cost more then your printer did!
Lexmark at one time were market leaders in this ploy.
Its the only way the manufacturer can make a profit.

Diemmess 11:32 11 Jun 2009

As with ink, a compatable toner refill may be available, but some cartridges are difficult and dirty to refill and mechanical parts will eventually give up.
Should be worth browsing for a compatable source.

I am Spartacus 11:35 11 Jun 2009

If you work out the cost per page though it could well still be reasonably priced. That's the way I look at it anyway but I only print a few thousand pages a year.

You may be able to refill the cartridge yourself although some 'starter' cartridges don't have a filler slot (Samsungs anyway).

peugeot man 15:07 11 Jun 2009

It looks like you got the printer at a bargain price. I have just had a quick look and this model is still on sale for up to £148, lowest price £60.

I agree though the cost of a new cartridge is often more than the printer. I found the same when buying toner for my HP 1020

Diemmess 15:09 11 Jun 2009

I've just found this among others in Google
click here
The price (with its own hole maker kit) seems excellent, though normal caution would be wise.

Armchair 15:44 11 Jun 2009

Sounds a bit dodgy!

peugeot man. I bought the printer from my local Argos Clearance store. Maybe I should have bought two of them?

dms_05 15:48 11 Jun 2009

Take a look on ebay. I have a Samsung CLP300 and the full set of 4 replacement cartridges cost about £100 retail in the UK. I bought a full set via ebay direct from an OEM manufacturer in China for under £20 delivered the UK. They work identically to the originals and even look identical, have a higher capacity and seem to confirm that printer manufacturers make their profit from ink and not printers.

Taff™ 07:28 12 Jun 2009

click here This Original Laser Cartridge is only £53.43. Note that the page yield is 10,000 which is just over half a penny a page - compare that with an inkjet cartridge yield and it`s a no brainer. For example click here with a page life of 400 costing nearly 7 pence per page.

Diemmess 11:05 12 Jun 2009

I thought this was odd to say the least!

However, looking further it seems this is to refill otherwise sealed toner units and the kit for £2 more allows the user to melt his own hole (by a mains heated tube).

Plus the means after loading the toner, to clean up and seal the new filler hole.

Chas49 00:21 14 Jun 2009

Try these people click here . I have a Brother HL1230 and fiknd their compatible toner cartridges for that are cheap and give no trouble - I've been using them for some 6 years now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017