A powerful, portable laptop for university

ariela1127 22:24 25 Feb 2015

Hello,

I need help choosing a laptop that is portable but also quite powerful. I am a first year student of Computer Science and I do not own a PC at the moment, so this will also be a desktop replacement.

It is important for me that the laptop has a good battery life and doesn't weight too much as I will be carrying it quite a lot. It also needs to be able to run smoothly, although I'm not really sure what kind of software I will be using in the upcoming years of my degree. I have looked at the new Dell XPS13 2015 edition but the prices start from 1099 pounds and I was wondering if there is something similar that I could get for less.

Or maybe I should wait for a bit longer as I heard that new ultrabooks will be released soon?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

wee eddie 02:06 26 Feb 2015

I fear that you are going to have to compromise.

Each of the two words you have used adds £250 to the price of a Laptop.

If a decent Laptop costs around £500. Add £250 for each option. Portable and Powerful will cost you about £1000.

john bunyan 09:03 26 Feb 2015

I would go for 2 items- a portable for carrying (even a tablet) and a laptop for use at your digs or halls.

EG there is an Asus small windows computer (touchscreen, 500gig HD) for £180 mat Tescos on line, Plus a Toshiba proper laptop, say, from J Lewis at about £500. I am busy today but will come back with details. My granddaughter at Uni uses a Samsung 8.5" Tab Pro (£200) for portable work, transferring to a laptop by dropbox, e mail or wireless.

Daisy_Michael 14:49 26 Feb 2015

I'd recommend any of the following 2: click here or click here (a little expensive but can work for years easily).

HondaMan 16:16 26 Feb 2015

If you check out the details of the course online, or even talk to the tutor, you should be able to obtain enough information to make an educated decision. Most courses do not require a Kray XC30

HondaMan 16:16 26 Feb 2015

If you check out the details of the course online, or even talk to the tutor, you should be able to obtain enough information to make an educated decision. Most courses do not require a Kray XC30

matt2000 15:18 28 Feb 2015

I would recommend a Surface Pro 3 with Type Cover. The battery lasts a long time and is pretty tough (It seems to survive me) Also the pen is useful for drawing/note taking

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone