power line adaptors, which is best?

TonyMay 13:18 20 Jan 2015

I need a better wifi signal in two bedrooms upstairs in my house (fastest option) so if i plug one into my sons room which needs to acomodate a sky tv and a ps4, then in the main bedroom the wife would be using an IPad. so I'm not sure but would that be a plug in sons room with two ethernet ports and a wifi signal to send to wifes room. I'm a bit confused, is that correct and the best option? and which product would be best for what i need?

Many Thanks in advance,

Tony.

onthelimit1 15:02 20 Jan 2015

Where is the router? One standard powerline plug needs to be plugged into the mains near the router, and connected to the router by ethernet cable. The second one (with WiFi) could go in your son's room - WiFi will reach to the main bedroom. If you need ethernet to TV and to PS4, be careful in your choice as many only have the one ethernet port.

onthelimit1 15:04 20 Jan 2015

P.S. I've used a number of TPLink products - this kit has the 2 ethernet sockets on the remote powerline plug that you say you need.

TonyMay 16:33 20 Jan 2015

The main router is in the living room, Downstairs.

onthelimit1 16:50 20 Jan 2015

Then that kit should do the job for you.

simonjary 19:34 21 Jan 2015

Hi.

I've tested most of the current best Powerline adapters, and this link features my top choices.

The TP-Link adapters are good. Also worth considering the Wi-Fi version of TrendNet, which is cheaper.

Available on Amazon for best price.

I haven't tested the wifi as the kit but have done individually.

Use the Amazon link on the article (second one) or just the link above.

For more read our What is Powerline feature.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?