Posting from helproom.

Tim1964 23:38 14 Aug 2003

Does anyone have the contact details for an 'organ grinder' and not a monkey at NTL?
Yes, I know NTL are broke and I know my £25 per month isn't helping but really, if I wanted to stare at a blank web page loading for minutes on end I would have stayed on Dial Up.

This is getting beyond a joke now.

Does OFTEL have any say in the fact that their 'high speed' (yeah right) BB is getting slower by the day?

How long do we NTL customers have to put up with this before something is done?

O.K. now the ADSL users can say "We told you so!"

Maybe they think the irate customers have magically disappeared with the demise of NTHellworld.

I would have thought that OFTEL would be able to shout at them on behalf of the 'little guy', you know the one that pays their wages.

Goodnight everyone.

Jester2K II 23:53 14 Aug 2003

OFTEL - if i understand it correctly are a regulator which means they check Joe Public doesn't get ripped off too much and there is no unfair competition. OFTEL have no powers of enforcement though...

From their own FAQ click here

Q Can Oftel help with my compensation claim?
A Oftel has no powers to resolve claims for compensation

Q Does Oftel price cap cable company call charges?

A Oftel has no direct control over the prices cable companies set for their services. Whilst we must ensure that the companies do not breach the conditions in their operating licences there are no conditions controlling prices in the licences issued to any of the cable companies. In fact, BT is the only company providing telephony that has a price control imposed on it by Oftel. This is because of its former monopoly status and dominant market share position.

Q I am experiencing a delay in having my service provided - can Oftel help?

A As with all complaints involving telecommunications services, you should approach your telephone company first. You should also ensure that you been through all the complaints processes at your telephone company.

You can contact Oftel, but please note we have no powers to require any telephone company to install your service on a particular day. We log all complaints we receive and where complaint trends are evident we will bring these trends to the attention of the company concerned.

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:02 15 Aug 2003

Wou;ld it not be better to change ISP providers?

G

Wes Tam ;-) 06:32 15 Aug 2003

Tim1964 - This is from the NTL Server Status dated 12/8 and still not marked as Resolved [although I've not experienced any problems here :)]

"ntlhome internet customers in all areas may currently be experiencing connectivity problems.

This is due to a technical fault affecting one of our DNS clusters. It may manifest itself as a delayed connection to any services such as browing web pages and collecting/sending email.

Our engineers are currently working to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause."

pj123 11:14 15 Aug 2003

I am on NTL BB at 600k and, as I understand it, there is something called a ratio, 20-1. I have been told this means that if all 20 people are logged on at the same time the speed drops down to a 20th of the speed if you were the only one on at the time. My speed varies considerably, depending on the time of day (or night). Sometimes it is slower than my AOL dialup connection. As I am on Cable TV my connection runs off the Digibox. NTL have replaced my box 3 times in the last 4 weeks. It seems to be running OK now. Still a bit slow at peak times though.

Stuartli 22:40 16 Aug 2003

You are describing the contention ratio and your analysis is correct in that the more users there are the slower a service will become - i.e. the ratio of users in contention for the output available.

wee eddie 08:37 17 Aug 2003

In fact, if everyone transferrers to broad band it will eventually become as slow as dial-up!

Tim1964 08:50 17 Aug 2003

Does anyone know the details of the area covered by '...in your area...'? If the contention ratio is 20:1 does that mean 20 users using the same 'green box', in your street or in your town!?

If the case that wee eddie describes becomes the norm will this actually kill off the internet (as far as a home user is concerned) or will we be expected to pay more and more, as in the case of car tax/cigarettes etc.

ooohh So cynical, so early in the day. ;-(

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:48 17 Aug 2003

Most BB works on a contention ratio of 50:1 for homes and 20:1 for businesses although some cable companies aim at 15:1. In essence this means that, at worst, the 512k line can be shared by UP TO 50 people at once when downloading. This would give a download speed of 10kbps for each person, which although slow, is two/three times the dial up rate. It would help if people stopped hogging the lines and disconnected when not using the net, rather than leaving it on continuously when not needed ,getting some kip or out doing the Asda run......a link to the net is not vitqally important *eyes raise* and reconneting takes a few seconds.

Having a contention ratio of 50:1 does not mean that there will always be 50 people using the line or that there are 50 people in the area that can access the line. For general surfing BB does not make a lot of differnce, be it 128k or 512k, so contention ratios are not really a problem.

In theory CRs could make a difference when downloading or using click here which case another coffee and chill pill are in order.

G

rev.bem 10:33 17 Aug 2003

Are we allowed to advocate the use of recreational pharmaceuticals on this forum?

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:17 17 Aug 2003

'Are we allowed to advocate the use of recreational pharmaceuticals on this forum?'...looks like the two biggest killers, fags and booze are no-nos then ;-))

'chill pill' is a modern expression refering to taking lungfulls of cold air to calm down and relax. To the best of my knowledge cold air is neither pharmaceutical nor a relaxant but then again I have not seen many people taking horses to water and forcing them to drink.

The last sentence should have read..'In theory CRs could make a difference when downloading or using FTP, in which case another coffee and chill pill are in order'. Haven't a clue where the 'click here' came from though.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?