Possibly looking for a new laptop - Recommendations

KateHaynes 00:16 30 Mar 2014

Long story short; I've had a MacBook Pro (13-inch) for several years now and I'm pretty sure it's reached the end of it's lifespan and I may be looking for a new computer. I know I can't afford another Mac just yet, so if it really is unfixable (taking it into the shop on Monday) I will have to buy a new Windows laptop.

What I want to know is what laptop models/makes would you recommend for under £550.

Would be mostly used for surfing the web, sending emails, creating/editing Microsoft Office documents, storing and viewing personal photos/videos/music etc. but it would be used for large parts of the day with several programs open at once.

As a bare minimum it must have/be:

• Under £550 (May be able to stretch that to £600 if I can borrow £50 from friends/family)
  • 15.6 or larger screen size
  • 3+ hour battery life (for the occasional train commute)
  • Decent RAM and storage.
  • Be able to tolerate being in use for most of the day.

Any suggestions? It's been so long since I bought a laptop that I'm just confusing myself with all the specifications now.

spuds 00:39 30 Mar 2014

This is a question that is aired on the forum often, and quite a number of good responses and suggestions are available, if you check out the PCA archives for a possible suitable replacement laptop, that might suit your needs.

Woolwell 20:14 30 Mar 2014

It is quite a difficult question to answer. Some like some keyboards, others do not. For your use you do not need to spend anything like £500 to get a suitable laptop. You have general use. Check battery life because that is going to be the most difficult part.

Suggest that you go to somewhere like John Lewis and have a play with a few.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?