Possible petrol strikes on price?

  MrBen CI:-) 13:31 30 Oct 2007
Locked

Articles in the press over the last few days about the cost of a litre of unleaded petrol going over the magic £1 mark.
Also talks of fuel protests like back in 2000.
Would they resolve anything?

If the goverment cut duty on petrol they could increase income tax instead? Seems their are no winners in this apart from the HM Treasurey!

  Stuartli 14:45 30 Oct 2007

Any government, no matter what its hue, has to calculate in advance how much money it needs to raise annually to provide the services expected of it.

Once that figure has been ascertained, it raises the money in whichever way it can.

Smokers, drinkers and motorists are the most easy targets, so they tend to land the bulk of the taxes imposed.

  beeuuem 15:29 30 Oct 2007

click here

"Gordon Brown is under pressure to suspend rises in fuel duty after it emerged that the Treasury is set to pick up an unexpected £3 billion tax windfall from the soaring price of oil.enough to fund a 6p cut in fuel duty."

Anyone who thinks that this extra income will be returned to the taxpayer doesn't understand politicians.

  oldbeefer2 16:15 30 Oct 2007

.....and don't get me started on revenue from speed cameras!

  spuds 17:38 30 Oct 2007

doesn't raise revenue, or at least thats what the authorities would like you to believe. Bit like our local council who are considering raising parking fines from £60 to £70 because the £60 fine is not educating people!.

  rdave13 18:44 30 Oct 2007

Where does the 'few bob' that speed cameras go to then? Maybe for more speed humps...:)

  rdave13 18:45 30 Oct 2007

'earn' should be in my last post but can't edit..

  birdface 21:31 30 Oct 2007

It's a bad subject.If this government needs money to run this country every one should pay their share probably through income tax that would be the fair way.And they should stop taking the piss out of motorists.Fuel strike.bring it on.

  MrBen CI:-) 10:44 31 Oct 2007

So your happy for a strike?
The infrastructure of the country breaks down whilst this happens.
Your not opposed to anarchy as well are you!

  birdface 11:17 31 Oct 2007

Sorry but there comes a time when enough is enough.You have to stand up and say No more.This is just a rough estimate.a gallon of fuel £5 tax £3.60.Like I said if the government has to make money, do it fairly Let everyone pay their share through income tax.This is discrimination against motorists in a big way.And you know it is illegal to discriminate in this country.Off course unless you are the government,And obviously this is not relevant to them.This has already been covered in an earlier thread,And you will get the same answers all over again.Every year they put the fuel prices up,Now what would happen if every year they put the income tax up.Would you just sit back and accept it,I don't think so.Just for arguments sake,Just say 20% of British workforce worked in the road haulage industry.That leaves 80% that don't so does the 80% worry about high fuel prices.No,It is the 20% that suffers.I assume that you are not one of the 80%.Off the remaining 20% we would like to hear how you feel about the price of fuel.And how many have lost there business's because of it.

  birdface 11:28 31 Oct 2007

This From an earlier thread.click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017