Portable speakers required

Diodorus Siculus 15:05 03 Feb 2006

I'm looking for a set of small portable speakers that I can take with me when travelling and into which I can plug my Creative Zen micro.

Anyone got a suggestion for a set with a good balance between price and performance.

Thanks as always, Dio

pj123 15:25 03 Feb 2006

Not sure what you mean by "portable". If you mean not mains powered, I have USB speakers connected to one of my PCs but the output is terrible.

I would have thought your best bet would be a really good set of headphones.

Diodorus Siculus 15:31 03 Feb 2006

I mean small enough to carry around easily and leave on my desk / bedside when in hotels etc.

They need to be small and light and I have seen a few different sets but don't know which are good ones.

Generally they seem to be operated by one or two AA batteries.

wjrt 15:47 03 Feb 2006

click here

do google
"MP3 player speakers"

Joe R 15:48 03 Feb 2006

Diodorus Siculus,

These are by no means the loudest speakers i've hear, but for the money, the quality is superb.

click here

pj123 15:51 03 Feb 2006

Do you want to give this a try. None of them give actual physical measurments though.

click here

Diodorus Siculus 15:56 03 Feb 2006

Thanks Joe R; it's a personal recommendation like that which I'm looking for.

As I said, I've seen a lot of them but haven't heard any - when they are on display in noisy shops, it's hard to get a feeling for what they might do.

Al94 21:18 03 Feb 2006

click here
These are the ones to go for, I picked them up for about £30 and the sound is superb, great battery life - I use the with an mp3 player and connect then to lap top when watching dvds. They are truly amazing and you can get them here click here&

Sir Radfordin 23:55 03 Feb 2006

Picked up some Ministy of Sound speaker in Dixons (needed there and then!) for about £30 which are up to the task of playing music/dvds in rooms big enough for a badminton court! Can run from mains (heavy adaptor) or battery (4x AA). Have 'mega bass' and some surround sound option that does make a difference. One single unit which the ends push in on to make it about the size of a tin can.

Stuartli 00:02 04 Feb 2006

Al94 has beaten me to the suggestion about Creative's portable speakers - the Guinness was calling - but they are highly regarded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)