Poor value PC on Ideal World

Totally-braindead 21:33 10 Nov 2007

Just been flicking through the Freeview channels and they are selling a Mesh PC. £200 off the price for only £599.99.
Now heres the spec and other info click here

Now I really feel sorry for someone that buys this as not only is it not worth £799 but I don't think its worth £599.

The salesman just described it as a gamers machine, with a 8400GS £40 graphics card? Give me a break. On the plus side it has Intel Dual Core processor, unfortunatly its the E4500 which is I think the second slowest one and costs about £80-90. It does have 2 gig of RAM and a 500 gig SATA drive so thats something. 19" widescreen, cheap one £120 maybe.
Would you pay £599 for this? I wouldn't I don't think this is good value at all. And as for saving £200 I have to ask, on what planet? Surely theres no one anywhere that would pay £799 for this is there? For that sort of cash I would be expecting a 8800GTS graphics card.
What a lot of waffle you get from these TV shopping channel presenters. Almost forgot, comes with a 300 watt power supply so if you do fancy a half decent graphics card you'll have to shell out another £50 for a power supply as well.
Good value? I think not.

spuds 22:14 10 Nov 2007

I always remember buying a top of the range super dooper special buy Lexmark printer from QVC many years ago. Less than a fortnight later, it was £30.00 cheaper from most high street retailers :O(

€dstowe 07:27 11 Nov 2007

Conversely, many years ago when I was just starting my business, and somewhat impoverished, I bought my first A3 printer from QVC for £120, reduced from over £600 - this was correct as I checked. OK, it was an obsolescent model but it served us well for a number of years.

You can get bargains but, as with all things, it pays to be careful.

DrScott 09:57 11 Nov 2007

anything advertised as a 'Gamer's Machine' as they always seem to come with a budget graphics card that can barely cope with Aero, let alone a modern game.

BYO - you know it makes sense.

Totally-braindead 12:26 11 Nov 2007

How true, some of the PC World offerings are listed as perfect for gaming. Have a good look, some of these perfect for gaming PCs have onboard graphics, makes you wonder who writes the adverts.

mrwoowoo 15:04 11 Nov 2007

It's called poetic lisence.
You have to realise that a pc only needs to be able to play "a game"(any game) to allow it to be called a gaming machine in an advert.Not exactly fair play but the people advertising the product want to sell it.
Just ignore all the sales patter.Study the specs and the price,then go on the net to compare like for like,and see how much better you can do.

Totally-braindead 15:26 11 Nov 2007

How true mrwoowoo but I was thinking about anyone buying this PC from Ideal World as a family PC thinking they are getting a great deal and that it would play games and the looks on their faces at Xmas time when they set it up, install a game or two they have bought and discover it won't run.
Someone that knows about computers would know it wasn't good for games but a complete novice would just think it was right.
You could say thats there own fault for not doing some homework but with all the techno babble its easy to see how someone could get confused.
I suppose the main reason I posted about this, regardless of the way they are putting it forward is, the price.
You might be able to justify the £599 price tag but I think its a bit of stretch even at that. The £799 original price tag is ridiculous. No one who knows anything about PCs would pay anything like that for a PC that is a budget PC, and lets face it thats what it is.
And with the poultry 300 watt power supply if they upgrade the graphics later on then they get another shock when the computer won't run as the power supply won't run the new graphics card.
Its well overpriced.

Earthsea 15:37 11 Nov 2007

the Erotica Lingerie section. Just what I'm looking for.

Oh, and I agree about the PC.

Fingees 19:00 11 Nov 2007

I saw this on ideal world yesterday, and thought it was ridiculous.

Every time I visited the channel today, the same has been on.

It must cost thousands to broadcast that much on any channel.

They must sell an awful lot.

Stuartli 15:59 12 Nov 2007

QVC, Ideal World, bidtv etc have their own television studios.

Many items do seem cheap, such as boxed DVD sets containing eight DVDs of great train journeys or whatever at around £10 to £12.

However, add on the cost of the phone call (£1.50 in some cases) plus p and p, and it's mighty expensive.

Even more so when the same DVD sets are on sale in one of my town centre's major stores for £9.99...:-)

€dstowe 16:49 12 Nov 2007

"And with the poultry 300 watt power supply"

The price ain't chicken feed, though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?