Police streaming on radio

golfpro 11:00 05 Jan 2003
  golfpro 11:00 05 Jan 2003

While we were discussing on this forum a couple of weeks ago, the merits of BBC/Real One/Windows media player, for streaming,somebody mentioned recieving Police streams from the USA on Win. Media, although I'm sceptical, I would like the link if anyone has got it.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:39 05 Jan 2003

click here there you go, more sites than you can shake the proverbial stick at. Due to the Freedom of Information Act in the States listening to them is legal. I will warn you in advance that they are quadruple dull.

Try this in the UK and you will recieve a late night visit from Plod as earwigging on the local constabulary is considered to be rather rude and illegal.

G

Stuartli 20:30 05 Jan 2003

I mentioned about the Police Scanner streaming available on WMA etc; most of the major cities in the States are covered, plus other emergency services.

WMA 6.4 lists them in its stations details although I've never bothered in 7.1. There are also dedicated US websites and google.com will bring them up.

I often listen to the local police forces' transmissions (you need an FM radio which covers the frequencies above 108FM up to around 175 to 180MHz).

I can pick up Merseyside, Lancashire, Greater Manchester, Cheshire, Wales and Staffs transmissions quite clearly, which is remarkable in view of the distances involved in some cases.

In the case of some car pursuits I can follow the chase through one or more police divisions; one, for instance, started in Crewe and brought in Staffs, Derbyshire and Leicestershire patrol vehicles before being halted on the Derbys/Leics border.

Stuartli 20:37 05 Jan 2003

Mr Plod doesn't know you are listening.......:-)

I spent a lifetime in journalism and listening to local police transmissions brought in a host of story links over the years. Much more effective than making the regular police calls for the paper at the local station.

Coaster3 10:13 06 Jan 2003

I think you'll find that, in this country, it's illegal to listen to police broadcasts.

JoeC 10:54 06 Jan 2003

it is not illegal to listen to police radio - you do, though, break the law if you act on information you hear in the broadcast. : }

oresome 15:06 06 Jan 2003

The police in the UK are in the process of changing to digital radio transmissions.
Your eaves-dropping days with a scanner are numbered.

WaTcHiNg 15:25 06 Jan 2003

Why would you want to?
It's verging on watching paint dry.

golfpro 09:43 07 Jan 2003

I should have kept this going its quite good. Any body remember the days of CB Radio, Snorrrrrrrre.

Stuartli 12:50 07 Jan 2003

Mr Plod hasn't battered the door down yet - nor do I expect him to....:-)

I don't use a scanner, just an ordinary £20 Air Band radio.

But computer wise the US police scanner websites can provide some incredible action and you can hear both the control room staff and the officers on duty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?