plz help

mw_69 23:38 04 Jan 2008

been looking for a new monitor for sometime now, reading reviews etcbut still can't decide because they all seem to have problems.
i like either:
samsung 2232bw
samsung 226bw
lg 226wtq
hp w2207h
they are all around £200 an look o.k. but samsungs have got problems of backlight bleed, humming sounds when brightness turned down, bad panels. lg has ghosting problems and hp have poor customer service.
can advise plz

rdave13 00:15 05 Jan 2008

I've got an AOC monitor. Two years old still running. What more can I say..:) click here .
Think that every producer of monitors will have some problems with a tiny amount of monitors they produce; but that goes the same with everything that's manufactured. Lol. Bite the bullet and buy what you like. You'll have a years guarantee anyway.

Kemistri 00:27 05 Jan 2008

"HP has poor CS" - Not in my experience, but remember that you will never have any need to deal with the manufacturer when purchasing a product of this nature. Your consumer rights bypass that avenue entirely. You may prefer - though not need - to deal directly when the product happens to be a PC, but if a monitor fails, you would just return it to the seller.

Forum Editor 00:42 05 Jan 2008

of backlight bleed, humming sounds when brightness turned down, bad panels."

Really? I'm using a brand new Samsung 2232BW, and none of those problems apply. I have two LG panels in my office, and neither of them has the faintest trace of ghosting.

Like Kemistri, I've never had a single customer-service problem with HP either.

My advice is to go somewhere that has a selection of monitors on display, and pick the one that - in your opinion - gives you the best display. Remember that not all of us see the screen in the same way, so choose the monitor that's right for you.

As for customer service, take heed of what Kemistri has said - legally you'll be dealing with your retailer if anything goes wrong, unless you choose to go to the manufacturer. In truth many retailers will recommend that you contact a monitor manufacturer direct in the event you have a problem, because they know it's likely to be the fastest way from A to B. No retailer will repair an LCD monitor in-house.

The fact is, you are very unlikely to need any after-sales service in any case - modern monitors are generally very reliable.

LANDCRUISER 16:58 07 Jan 2008

I have a samsung syncmaster 225 bw monitor & its great picture quality,samsung spend a fortune in research

wags 17:51 07 Jan 2008

Please see my response to a similar thread: click here

The Samsung 226BW is fantastic and I know of at least 6 people who have bought one on the strength of me raving about it, who are also delighted!

Goliht 22:53 11 Mar 2008

"but samsungs have got problems of backlight bleed, humming sounds when brightness turned down, bad panels."

Do you have any specific model details for these issues? Or is this just what you've heard?

I'd be interested in any details, especially with full model codes. Don't include anything else. Just the model code. Which is usually on the back on a silver panel just above the barcode.
ie;
Model: *************
Barcode: ¦¦¦¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦
Serial:*************

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?