Plusnet users + recent spam

esbe 20:39 14 May 2007

Being a Plunet user & suddenly starting to receive more spam than usual, it appears that apparently there might be a problem somewhere.
Let's hope they get it sorted out.

A quote from part of a thread reads -

Taken from service status:

Quote:
It has come to our attention that a number of customer email addresses have been obtained illegally by a third party. As a result, some of these customers have experienced increased levels of spam to their email addresses.

We are in the process of contacting all affected customers in order to inform them of the incident and of any steps they need to take to ensure that their Internet connections and computers are safe.

You can read more about this in the Plusnet discussion forum thread 'very dodgy spam situation'

cheers.

Europa 21:55 14 May 2007

I thought I was suddenly receiving some dodgy emails. That's where it's coming from then.
Thanks for the information.

hssutton 22:54 14 May 2007

I'm a Plusnet user with Windows Mail which filters nearly all the spam out, have only had two in recent times, so not really noticing any problem

jack 08:32 15 May 2007

Get Spam never again from any where into your computer by doing the following.
Bear in mind that all programs like Mail Washer and others are being counter measured by the spammers and the 'washers' in turn are hitting back - it is warfare out there - why be part of it.

First - Go to Start- right click on the E-mail client icon[Outlook Express or Thunder-bird- which ever] - and click on -'Remove from list'.
Restart the computer.
This now means the E-mail program is not running and no mail is coming in - Good or bad.
Go to your Web-mail account and read your mail 'Online'
At this stage no mail is coming into the computer
you are looking at it through a window so to speak.
Work down the list and delete all you do not like the look of.
Better still operate the black list function so the the server will dump it straight away.
Now fire up the E-mail program
Only the mail you have sanctiond will come in.
Once that batch is in - close down the E.mail program

All a bit long winded I know - but absolutely fool proof

Simsy 11:20 15 May 2007

That I've never had a real problem with spam, just the very occassional one....

Until yesterday evening that is.... I had about 40 in the space of a couple of hours. All had genuine sounding names as the "Sender", but all had foul language in the "Subject" field.
Only about half a dozen had attachments. All were deleted without being opened, and no harm done apart from the ago of dealing with them.

I'm also with Plusnet.

Regards,

Simsy

rickf 15:37 15 May 2007

Its been a bit of a problem for a while. I hust delete them, bit of a pain but no hassle really.
Plusnet user and yes, I wish they can sort it out instead of passing the responsibility to the customers.

esbe 15:54 15 May 2007

jack, hssutton - thanks for the info.

I usually delete all senders I don't recognise anyway, but the problem at the moment is that these spam emails are addressed to me using my 'username', which should only be known to Plusnet.
This is happening to a large number of PN customers at the moment.

Reading the threads on the Plusnet forum about this, it appears that Plusnet's Webmail might have been compromised sometime last week, and 'usernames' harvested', there's even a suggestion of issuing new usernames.

Plusnet are doing all they can to sort it out, and will be e-mailing customers shortly.

cheers.

hssutton 16:54 15 May 2007

Not sure what "Name" was used in the spam that I recieved. As I said Windows Mail is excellent at dealing with spam, with no input whatsoever from me.

I do agree though that the amount of spam has increased a great deal of late

appletrees 21:50 17 May 2007

"First - Go to Start- right click on the E-mail client icon[Outlook Express or Thunder-bird- which ever] - and click on -'Remove from list'.
Restart the computer.
This now means the E-mail program is not running and no mail is coming in - Good or bad."

Surely this only removes the link to the email browser, rather than stopping it from running at all?
Shouldn't you instead remove it from the list of programs that start when you switch the computer on ??

jack 08:38 18 May 2007

appletrees quoted me
"First - Go to Start- right click on the E-mail client icon[Outlook Express or Thunder-bird- which ever] - and click on -'Remove from list'.
Restart the computer.
This now means the E-mail program is not running and no mail is coming in - Good or bad."

And wrote

Surely this only removes the link to the email browser, rather than stopping it from running at all?
Shouldn't you instead remove it from the list of programs that start when you switch the computer on
---------------------o0o-----------------------

L:ine four appletrees
" Restart the computer"
Thats id after removing by right click remove from list
Doea exactly that

hssutton 13:30 19 May 2007

I see Plusnet are responding to the spam problem, excerpt from Plusnet email.

Due to the recent issues with Webmail security and the subsequent increase in unwanted spam emails to customers, we will soon be making improved spam tools available free of charge to all of our customers.

Our Spam Protection filters currently work by detecting any unwanted spam email sent to your email address and adding a tag to the subject line, allowing you to quickly identify it as spam and delete or filter it accordingly.

From Thursday 24th May we will be making our Spam Protection service available to all customers, so even those who haven't been able to take advantage of the service up until now will be able to benefit from reduced levels of unsolicited and nuisance email.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?