prima12 10:26 22 Jun 2008

I was under the impression (but I may be wrong)that when you purchased something, and it went wrong, your contract was with the seller not the manufacturer. This doesn't seem to be the case with I purchased a 'cheats' card, Action Replay for Nintendo DS, made by Datel, in October of 2007 for my grandson. The DS started to not see that the Action Replay card was inserted, although all his other games played OK.I contacted and they said I should contact Datel (Codejunkies)and they would replace it under their 12 month guarantee, they didn't want to know, and directed me back to as the seller. don't want to know either, so my grandson is left with a worthless item that doesn't work and can't get replaced. may have some of the best prices on the internet, but as far as I am concerned their customer service stinks and I would rather pay a little more and get far better customer service from another company.

  birdface 11:08 22 Jun 2008

If you purchase a mobile phone.And it develops a fault within the year.You have to contact the Phone manufacturer to have repairs done under warranty.And not the seller although some stores will exchange it for you.

  spuds 13:37 22 Jun 2008

Consumer law in the UK states quite clearly that the retailer/seller is your first port of call, if any problems occur with a product or service. In some cases a retailer might 'suggest' that a manufacturer is the resolver of an issue, it is not. But having said that, sometimes it is a quicker way in getting repairs or replacements, especially on things like computer monitors.

Your rights under consumer law could be limited, if you deal with the manufacturer direct, without the approval of the retailer/seller.

Consult Consumer Direct click here for advice on your legal rights.

  BJN 23:01 22 Jun 2008

Just a quick question, operate from the Channel islands. Is that covered by UK Consumer Law or are they an offshore Company.I'd just like to know as I've used this Company for years but have never need to connect them regard faulty goods.


  prima12 19:11 23 Jun 2008

I asked about this, and although the law is not the same in the CI I gather to all intent and purpose it is.
I too have dealt with since 2003 and up to this point I have not to contact them regarding a problem, it's just that I feel I am being given the runaround, somebody is responsible for the defective item, albeit it was only £14.99, it's the principle. Nobody is prepared to take responsibility neither or Datel/Codejunkies. P.

  spuds 22:54 23 Jun 2008

For further advice and help,you could also try:

Trading Standards Service
Commerce & Employment Department
P.O.Box 459
Raymond Falla House
Longue Rue
St Martins

Tel: +44 (0) 1481 234567
Email: [email protected]

Regular liaison exists with Trading Standards Departments in the UK and elsewhere to share information which can often assist with the resolution of a complaint. If you try Consumer Direct and the above, your problem might be made easier and perhaps resolved!.

  prima12 19:38 27 Jun 2008

I have contacted Jersey Trading Standards and they will be getting in touch in due course, I will post with any outcome. P.

  McGill01 02:47 14 Jul 2008

i have had a couple of faulty goods from and on contacting them they have always been great with me, replacing the product as soon as i had returned it on both occasions, i have been with them for 7 years and they just keep getting better :)

  prima12 13:37 18 Jul 2008

Update. Trading Standards have heard back from who have agreed to replace the faulty item. It's a pity that customers have to go to these lengths to get what they are entitled to from retailers. P.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?