Play.com and their netbooks

dagnammit 18:54 30 Jan 2009

I'm seriosuly disheartened by this company's attitude and that of Royal Mail's apparent failures.

I ordered a memory stick that went missing last month and I had to wait 21 days to claim a replacement.

On looking for a particular model of Acer Netbook Play were offering it as in stock at £229 and dispatch time was immediate. Rather hesitantly I placed the order assuming, to myself, that they might send it by courier or special delivery as it's quite expensive in comparison to the DVDs and games they sell.

Normally Play deliveries arrive within a few days at my property but it's now gone passed the week mark which rang alarm bells when I didn't receive my £14.99 mem stick last month.

I have called them twice....

On the first call the chap revealed to me that they are drop-shipped on behalf of Play from a supplier that they won't name. I think the term is 'blind-shipping' when they won't reveal the supplier/wholesaler.

and on the second call it was revealed that the items are sent via Royal Mail's standard parcel service, in accordance with Play's P&P agreement.

So they can't track it and I now have a week and a half or so to wait before I can take any action.

Play will not any custom from me in the future.

dagnammit 18:56 30 Jan 2009

Play will not GET any custom from me in the future.

The Brigadier 19:05 30 Jan 2009

Did you not think after the 1st order went AWOL to go elsewhere?

dagnammit 19:18 30 Jan 2009

Maybe. /dips head in shame.

No where else I would buy from had it at a good price and for immediate dispatch.

I put the missing memory stick down to RM's fault and not Play's to be honest. This nonsense about the netbook is laying squarely at Play's feet though.

dagnammit 01:25 02 Feb 2009

It's now gone up to £319 in price but is out of stock click here

Play are seriously damaging their reputation.

dagnammit 17:20 02 Feb 2009

click here

Is now unavailable.

Called Play to query it and the girl says they're no longer being supplied with it. She says there is missing info regards to the dispatch of mine and that she's sending me a form to apply for compensation of the value of the netbook.

Now I have to apply to get my money back!

RIDICULOUS!

Forum Editor 17:57 02 Feb 2009

Did you get a confirmation email with details of your order, and the price you were paying?

If you did, a contract exists between you and the supplier. Your part of it is to pay for the machine, and theirs is to supply it.

There may well be factors beyond the company's control which prevents them from fulfilling your order, but if that's the case they must refund your money - you don't have to fill in any forms at all - just email them, or write if you have a postal address, and tell them you want the money refunded to your card account immediately.

You might also alert your card company to the fact that you hold them liable for the payment in the light of the supplier's failure to complete the contract.

dagnammit 18:48 02 Feb 2009

I got an order confirmation stating:

This email is only an acknowledgement of receipt of your order which has been passed to our dispatch department to be processed.

Thank you for ordering with click here

Then follows the description of the netbook, price and payment method, debit card.

Order was placed on the early hours of the 21st of Jan and I received that email on the 22nd.

I noticed the £229 was taken out of my bank acc on the 22nd though I didn't receive an email to tell me it has been dispatched.

I logged into the Play website where it said "Posted 22nd Jan".

I waited until the 3 to 5 days quoted had passed and called back to be given several different excuses/explanations.

dagnammit 16:45 04 Feb 2009

Just a note to let you know that mentioning I'd sought advice on here put me though to a manager with Play on Monday night. Even though I'd been refused when I first called.

I told the manager that I'd still like a netbook rather than the refund. He said he'd investigate and get on to head office.

Result is a netbook arrived today by CityLink, so I called him to say it had arrived and to thank him.

He said he'd be in touch when he puts his report back to head office and he will seek a gesture of goodwill on my behalf.

I asked what happened to the original that was supposedly dispatched on the 22nd Jan. He said they're still investigating and it's likely to have gone missing between the warehouse and courier.

So thankyou FE.

......and thank you to the Customer Service Manager at Play.com

Forum Editor 17:13 04 Feb 2009

and I'm delighted to learn that things appear to have been resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?