"Thank you for your email

All users of the solo500 package will be upgraded automatically and free of
charge to the solo1000 package from March, but I can't give you an exact
date I'm afraid. You will continue to pay just £xx.xx

BT are doing the upgrades in batch so it may take up to August before they
are all completed. If you would like to upgrade sooner you can do so via
click here but as this will be a manually upgrade you will be charged
£15."

My reply from Pipex at last. It took them a week. I don't understand how the £15 fee will get me upgraded quicker. Is it some sort of "bribe"?! What action are you other Pipex users taking?

Forum Editor 11:10 05 Mar 2005

automatically"

A Manual (which is quicker) upgrade will cost £15

"I don't understand how the £15 fee will get me upgraded quicker"

Because it's manual - a human being will do it, and instead of waiting for it to happen automatically (non-manually) you'll jump the queue. People have to be paid for their time.

Cybermaxx 11:43 05 Mar 2005

Hmmm, if BT are running this whole show, I might be better off having them as my ISP. This whole "jumping the queue with cash" thing stinks to high heaven anyway.

anchor 12:54 05 Mar 2005

As FE said, paying the £15 will ensure that your upgrade will be prioritised by BT.

From information I received from Pipex, this should be done within 7-10 days; (after confirmation by BT that your line is suitable for 1 Mb; this may take up to 7 working days).

Stuartli 12:56 05 Mar 2005

Pipex is just one of many ISPs who provide broadband using BT's exchanges and facilities and is passing on price reductions/upgrading services offered to them by BT.

Most people are probably delighted at paying less for an improved service (makes a pleasant change these days) but, as the FE points out, if you wish to divert from the norm by speeding up your personal switchover than, of course, you must be prepared to meet the cost of doing so.

I'd be surprised if Pipex had any return from the charge as it would most likely to go to BT in full for undertaking your manual switchover to the faster service.

spuds 13:10 05 Mar 2005

Bit like having a road traffic accident, then having to pay for an ambulance to turn up :o(

Stuartli 13:14 05 Mar 2005

I see your analogy, but it's not quite like that.

An accident is unforeseen, to pay or not for upgrading your Pipex broadband service quicker is a matter of choice.

wags 13:51 05 Mar 2005

I am happy to wait a few months and consider this Pipex upgrade at no extra monthly charge/conversion fee to be a bit of a bonus. If you can't wait, then £15 is pretty reasonable IMHO for the reasons set out by FE.

Cybermaxx 14:21 05 Mar 2005

It would be a bonus if I was still in my first year with Pipex (ie I would have to pay a £58 fee if I cancelled before the year was up), but I'm not. Some of the other ISPs have some very tempting offers on at the moment. Hell, I don't know what to do!

ensonricky 15:50 05 Mar 2005

How about an immediate upgrade to the 2000 Lite (5GB download limit) for the same upgrade fee of £15 at £23.44 per month?

Forum Editor 16:59 05 Mar 2005

It's not remotely like having a road traffic accident. It's a simple - and I would have thought simply understood - offer to make a headstart on an upgrade process by paying a small fee.

More to the point, it's a perfectly free upgrade, and will remain so if you choose not to fork out £15. Frankly I'm astonished that anyone sees this an issue worthy of debate at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?