Pipex - anyone having trouble this afternoon?

Dae 16:16 11 Apr 2004

Is anyone else having trouble with ADSL Pipex this afternoon?

My emails just will not send at all (The connection to the server has failed Error 0x800CCC0E), and the web is unusually slow.

SANTOS7 16:52 11 Apr 2004

click here;en-us;q191687 this may help

SANTOS7 16:53 11 Apr 2004

click here;en-us;q191687

SANTOS7 16:54 11 Apr 2004

sorry link i'm trying to send you to not responding

SANTOS7 16:57 11 Apr 2004

Applies To
This article was previously published under Q191687
SYMPTOMSWhen you try to send or receive messages using Outlook Express or Outlook, you may receive an error message. When you try to send a message to your Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) server, you may receive the following error message:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'your_account',
Server:'your_SMTP_server', Protocol:SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): NO,
Socket error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800ccc0e
Similarly, when you start the e-mail client or try to receive a message from your Post Office Protocol version 3 (POP3) server, you may receive the following error:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'your_account',
Server:'your_POP3_server', Protocol:POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): NO,
Socket error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800ccc0e
CAUSEThe client connects to a port that is blocked or unavailable on the mail server. If the client is trying to send a message, the blocked port is 25, and if the client is trying to retrieve a message, the blocked port is 110. Refer to the error message for the protocol and port numbers.
WORKAROUNDTo work around this behavior, make ports 110 and 25 available. By default, ports 110 and 25 are available when the Exchange Server services start. The ports 110 for POP3, 119 for Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP), and 143 for Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) are automatically opened and made available on the Exchange Server computer when the Information Store service starts. Port 25 is automatically made available when the Internet Mail Service starts. If these services do not start, the ports are not available.

If the services are running, you can verify that these ports are listening (open) on the server by using the Netstat utility that is included with Windows NT Server:
Open a command prompt on the Exchange Server computer. You have to modify the command prompt properties, because the data scrolls off the screen. Open the command prompt, right-click the upper-left corner of the window, and then click Properties. Click the Layout tab, and then change the screen buffer size to 1,000. Apply the change. You are prompted to modify either the current window or the shortcut that you used to start the command prompt. You can modify the shortcut for future convenience.
At the command prompt, type netstat -an. Scroll back to the beginning of the data output, and look for the following entries.

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
TCP 0.0.0.0:25 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING
TCP 0.0.0.0:110 0.0.0.0:0 LISTENING

If these entries are present, Exchange Server is listening on ports 110 and 25 on all interfaces. This is typical. If these ports are not available, you may have to troubleshoot the following services or systems more. The following general causes may "hold" these ports, or make them unavailable:
The Exchange Server information store service is not running, or the POP3 protocol is not enabled and listening to port 110. Verify that the information store service is running. For additional information about troubleshooting the POP3 protocol, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
161118 XCLN: Troubleshooting PO161118 connections to Exchange Server

The Internet Mail Service is not running or is not listening on port 25. Verify that the Internet Mail Service is running. For additional information about testing the Internet Mail Service and port 25, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
153119 XFOR: Telnet to port 25 of IMC to test IMC communication

A proxy server located between the client and the server may be blocking access to these ports to the Exchange Server computer. For additional information about configuring Exchange Server through a proxy server, click the following article numbers to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
148732 XADM: Setting TCP/IP port numbers for Internet firewalls

176466 XGEN: TCP ports and Microsoft Exchange: In-depth discussion

Another program, such as virus-scanning software, has reassigned port 25 to another port. Disable all services that are not essential, including antivirus software, and then restart the server.

anchor 17:17 11 Apr 2004

No problems with Pipex; must be at your end as suggested.

SANTOS7 17:26 11 Apr 2004

thankyou for the link crx much appreciated [email protected]

Dae 18:42 11 Apr 2004

Thank you for the information about Pipex status anchor; I still can't send emails, it was working for me this morning but not this afternoon.

I shall read the MS KB article slowly, santos7, and see what I can get out of it. Thank you for posting.

Regards

Dae

R4 19:56 11 Apr 2004

Pipex are not reporting any problems and mail has been OK for me all day

Dae 22:51 11 Apr 2004

All is working again for me now. The fault seems to have been in those Ports 25 and 110 mentioned in the MS KB article.

Thank you to everyone who responded, all the information you supplied was helpful in guiding me to a satisfactory solution.

Dae.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?